PDA

View Full Version : Jorgy vice mount question

Bill Sherman
02-19-2012, 7:48 AM
I am building my first bench. It will be a mini Roubo (24" x 60") due to space. It will have a leg vice on the front and a Jorgy 10" vice on the end. The SYP top should finish at about 3 1/2" thick. The template that comes with the vice says the top should be 2 1/2" thick or you have to cut a recess to accommodate the mechanism. This should bring the steel jaws flush with the top. However, I want to add a large wood chop to the steel face and have the wood flush with the top. Can't I bolt the vice to the under side of the 3 1/2" top and add the chop to bring it up to flush? Any problem with this? Looking at the pics in the Schwarz bench book that seems to be the way to go but wanted to ask before mounting. Thanks for any info you might have on this vice.

Bill

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2012, 12:20 PM
It seems reasonable, particularly since the end vise is not supposed to put great pressure on the board being clamped between the dogs. Then again, what do I know?

Matthew Hills
02-20-2012, 12:17 AM
That's what I just did with my bench.

I did cut a mortise in the end of the bench for the one face, but the bottom support is just bolted on to the bottom of the bench without any mortising there.

I did use longer lag screws than came with the vise.

Matt

Bill Sherman
02-20-2012, 6:12 AM
Matt, how thick is your top?

Matthew Hills
02-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Matt, how thick is your top?
3 and 1/8

Matt