PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 Motor Shaft and Arbor Shaft Woodruff Key and Set Screw

Bob Deroeck
02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Still working on recommissioning my 1974 PM 66.

I took the reset switch assembly off the motor and saw dust poured out from the motor casing. That, plus concern over whether there was any viable grease in the bearing made me decide to remove the motor and open it up for cleaning and inspection. Breaking the motor down went pretty well, except removing the drive pulley from the end of the shaft. I'll need to get a gear puller to get it off.

The drive pulley on the arbor shaft was floating freely. The set screw was tight in the screw hole in the pulley, but was not tight against the shaft. As I was removing the v-belts the pulley slide right off the shaft. The tapped set screw hole goes into the groove in the pulley that takes the Woodruff key. The Woodruff key is shorter than the groove in the arbor shaft and the set screw in the pulley is located on the outboard end of the arbor shaft. I'm trying to figure out if the inner tip of the set screw is supposed to screw up against the top of the Woodruff key or if the Woodruff key is supposed to be inboard of the set screw and that the set screw tip is supposed to screw up against the inside of the groove in the arbor shaft. I'd appreciate any advice on this subject.

I have the same question about the Woodruff key and set screw for the pulley on the motor shaft.

BTW, the TEFC Baldor motor had about 1/2 cup of saw dust inside the casing. I can't figure out how it got there, since the gaskets for the capacitor cover, the electric wire connector box cover, and the reset switch cover all appear to be sound. I suspect the motor had not been opened since it was installed in 1989. It also doesn't look like it's been greased in decades. There was about a 1/2 teaspoon of grease in the outboard bearing with just a trace of grease within the ball bearing cage. Fortunately, the bearing still seems to be good. I'll inspect the inner bearing after I get the pulley removed. The contact points on the static portion of the centrifugal switch are good and the dynamic portion is in good shape, though it was covered in sawdust. Looks like sawdust on the centrifugal switch was the cause of the starting problem I had a few days ago.

Bob

John McClanahan
02-19-2012, 9:37 AM
My PM66 has a 3 sheave pulley with 2 set screws. One of the set screws tightens into the key in the shaft. The other screws directly into the shaft.

Don Jarvie
02-19-2012, 1:49 PM
If theres no dust in the motor bearings then add some grease around the bearing before you put the motor back together. See what the auto parts store has.

The woodruff key on the arbor is very difficult to remove. I had to cut a groove in it to pry it up. If you replace the arbor bearings it needs to come off. If not you can leave it be.

As you can see the arbor can be adjusted in or out and tightened with the set screw or bolt (can't remember). When you go to put it back together put the top in place and set the arbor so the blade comes through the plate. The take the top back off and tighten the arbor up. Reason why I say this is I had my saw all together wit the extension table on and the blade was a bit to the left. Luckly all I had to do was add a washer between the blade and arbor so I didn't need to take the top off and readjust the motor etc.