PDA

View Full Version : My new bench is finally done!

Dan Case LR
02-18-2012, 10:47 PM
My new bench built around a Noden Adjust-A-Bench leg set is finally done, and I decided I needed to take a few pictures while it still looks pretty.

The Bench top is roughly 30" x 60", 2 1/4" thick, three layers of 3/4" MDF with a Maple skirt. The vise is a 10" Jorgensen quick-release (41012) with the inner jaw buried in the bench skirt. The stretchers are also Maple, made from the same board as the skirt. Finish is BLO and wax; I stopped after four coats on the MDF (I think that stuff would suck up a 55 gallon drum if you'd let it, just like a dog who'll eat until the bowl is empty or he explodes, whichever happens first.)

The Adjust-A-Bench comes with lags for attaching the benchtop, but I've never been a big fan of lags in MDF. The legs are through-bolted to the top, with the bolts countersunk and the holes plugged with hardwood dowels. The vise is also through-bolted and plugged in the same way. If you notice a couple of light-colored blotches on one end, those are filled-in minor gouges in the top resulting from trying to trim the dowels with a dull chisel. Shoulda known better. Ordered a WS3000 later that day. :)

I LOVE the height adjustment of the Noden system. The pictures show the bench at it's shortest (28 1/2") and tallest (45 1/4) heights. It has Noden's 28" caster set, and the double-locking wheels will stabilize the bench well enough for many purposes. For serious planing and other heavier use, a few turns of the caster bolts raise them completely off the floor and the bench is rock-solid.

If I have any complaints, it's that the end with the vise weighs a ton and is therefore a little more work when height-adjusting. The weight is good, however--until my back is tired and I need to change height. I'll get over it! :)

D.

ed vitanovec
02-18-2012, 10:53 PM
I can't open the picture.

Dick Mahany
02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Great job, very cool. Now, go use it and have fun !

Dan Case LR
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
I can't open the picture.

Try again now, Ed. They apparently didn't upload right the first time.

D.

frank shic
02-19-2012, 1:20 AM
i can't imagine how nice it must be to be able to adjust the height! thanks for sharing and enjoy :)

Brian Kent
02-19-2012, 1:36 AM
Very nice looking. I bet it works, too.

Don Morris
02-19-2012, 3:03 AM
Very Nice. Enjoy!

Van Huskey
02-19-2012, 3:28 AM
Very nice work!

ed vitanovec
02-19-2012, 9:10 AM
I can see the bench now, very nice. How did you drill the bench dog holes?

Todd Burch
02-19-2012, 9:15 AM
Solution to the vise making one end too heavy - put a second vise on the other end! Thanks for sharing!

Todd

Jim Foster
02-19-2012, 9:38 AM
Nice bench, it would be nice over time to find out if you pick a favorite height and leave it, or tend to adjust it for different tasks fairly often.

glenn bradley
02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Looks great Dan. Should serve you well for many years. My MDF top has picked up the occasional scar over the years. The next time I am using epoxy I just mix up a little extra and fill in the ding. Chisel flush and move on. This has been done more on the aprons than on the top itself. Remarkably tougher than I ever expected.

Dan Case LR
02-19-2012, 4:03 PM
I can see the bench now, very nice. How did you drill the bench dog holes?

I used a 3/4" Forstner bit with a template to kelp keep the holes plumb(and properly aligned). The Template was a piece of 3/4" MDF approximately the length of the bench with holes drilled at the Drill Press with the same bit. Template doesn't prevent all bonegeaded errors, but does make it easy to start flat to the top (half the battle) and stay centered.

The dog holes in the vise were 75% drilled with the same bit on the drill press. The other 25% was drilled with a spade bit after considerable grousing and a quick trip to HD just 5 minutes before closing time. :eek:

D.

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2012, 4:09 PM
Yeah, that's a very useful Beauty! Judging from the stuff surrounding it in the photo, the wheels will be very useful.:)