View Full Version : What Makes a Woodworking Machine quiet… or LOUD!?

Brian Kent
02-18-2012, 8:52 PM
I do wear ear protection,
but I do not enjoy woodworking machines that are loud even before their first contact with wood.

So what makes a woodworking machine quieter?

(and examples of quieter machines would be great) :)

Tony Joyce
02-18-2012, 9:40 PM
So what makes a woodworking machine quieter?
(and examples of quieter machines would be great) :)

Sound enclosures:) (Moulders)

Seriously on machines that use knives, the farther the knife hangs out past the head holding it the louder it will be - think airplane loud on some shapers and moulders. If you turn on a shaper without the head it is relatively quiet, but once the head is on it gets loud. Some cutters are actually quieter while the knives are in the wood(cutting).

Tony

ed vitanovec
02-18-2012, 9:49 PM
When I added a Byrd head to my 8" Jointer it cut noticeably quiter. I also added a 80 tooth thin kerf blade to my Table Saw and noticed the cut was quiter. I have heard that adding a Silencer or Muffler to a Cyclone Dust collector will reduce the noise. A Router is loud and I think when a Router is under powered for the bit or if the bit is dull will cause the noise level to get louder.

Steve knight
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
routers are noisy when on because of the fan on top. if they made them like my spindle with a separate fan they would not be as bad. but cutting can be noisy and you can't do a lot about that. a fein is quiet till you remove the motor then it is 100 decibels. Most of the noise is air movement.

Van Huskey
02-18-2012, 10:22 PM
A ton of cast iron and a direct drive motor.

Coming back to add a couple more induction motors and insert heads.

Dick Mahany
02-18-2012, 11:08 PM
I recently upgraded my DC system from a 1.5 HP bagger to a 3 HP cyclone and 6 " ducts. My little Jet 6" jointer is now MUCH louder than before. So it's a combination of machine noise and air flow noise. Even though the jointer now sounds like it's getting ready for a take off, I'd take dust collection over sound abatement any day.

Stephen Cherry
02-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Here is another reason people need to own shapers- they are lots quieter than routers.