PDA

View Full Version : Can MDF be used for a panel in panel door

Kurt Strandberg
03-20-2005, 6:18 PM
Can MDF be used for a panel in panel door? I built a panel cutting jig for my TS and am making a cabinet for over the washer/dryer, I was going to glue up some boards to make a panel but I have been thinking about working with some MDF, I think it would work but want to double check.

Kurt

Christopher Pine
03-20-2005, 6:21 PM
Sure you can use mdf for this works well especially for painted door!
Chris

Kent Cori
03-20-2005, 6:27 PM
MDF machines quite well with a sharp bit but can be pretty heavy if the panel is large. It will work very well for a panel assuming it will be painted. It does, however, tend to wear the bits a little faster than real wood due to the glue content.

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 7:06 PM
All of the above plus the advise that you will need to spend some time filling and sanding the milled profiles once you run the panels through the router table/shaper. I generally use light-weight spackling compound for that and it takes about two applications with sanding to do the job. Then prime (very important) before you paint...doing that before you assemble the doors/panels helps keep the joint line crisp.

Lamar Horton
03-20-2005, 8:33 PM
MDF is a good choice for a painted panel, as was said before, a large panel can be heavy. We used 1/2 in MDF in some doors that needed a fairly good sized panel and it worked just fine.

mike malone
03-20-2005, 9:07 PM
MDF is a great choice for painted panels. If you are using a cabinet set of cutters and need a 5/8" panel..MDF is available at HD in 5/8" size.
Recently built this distressed boot box/catchall using panelled MDF sides. Just primed it first as Jim said. Good luck :)

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 9:10 PM
If you are using a cabinet set of cutters and need a 5/8" panel..MDF is available at HD in 5/8" size.
Not around here! 3/4" only in "full sheets" and if you want 1/2" it's only available in 1/4 sheets at either HD or Lowes! (All 7 of them...)

Kurt Strandberg
03-20-2005, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, I think I am going to try and cut them on my table saw, I would rather use 3/4'" but I don't want to buy an 4X8 seet for 2 panels, maybe my HD or Lowes has half panels

Again, thanks for the info,

Kurt

Mark Stutz
03-20-2005, 11:04 PM
MDF is also available in a "lightweight" version. I have never seen it at the Home centers however. Doors might be the ideal application for it.