PDA

View Full Version : Place for planer and router in garage

Nathan Callender
02-18-2012, 7:42 PM
Hey all, I'm rearranging some tools in my shop and am going to build mobile bases for everything but am stuck on one issue. I can't decide if i should tuck my planer up under the wing of the table saw and build a separate router table or put the router in the wing and keep the stand to my planer which is a ridgid lunch box. It's the same space either way. What would you do?

Bryan Cramer
02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I like my planer (bench top Dewalt) set up on its dedicated stand because it weighs more than 80 pounds and is a bit cumbersume to lift up from storage and set it on my bench. I have room to have a dedicated router table set up all the time (I like it). A router in your tables saw works well, but it could get in the way. You would have to remove the router fence, and lower the bit if it is on the left extension wing to use the table saw. The right wing could be better. If you are making a router table consider space saving options like a colapsing router table long your wall. Get an drop in insert plate for your router. To collapse the table you would have to remove the insert with router and fence, but it can be big yet it folds flat. Google turns up many ideas. Another idea is a router table that collapse along side of your bench. I had a site with free space-saving router tables plans, but it was bookmarked on my old computer that died. I will keep looking for it. In the end I would choose for my router table to be stored out of the way over my planer.

frank shic
02-19-2012, 1:23 AM
i have the same planer as you do and it currently sits underneath the left wing of my table saw which is also where i've attached an exactor sliding table and boy is it a pain running around those legs trying to catch the planks before they fall on the garage floor! i really do wish i could have it on a stand but there are just too many other tools in the way right now :(

Rory Misener
02-19-2012, 2:47 AM
In a similar situation, I went with a router wing on the TS and a dedicated mobile cabinet for the planer. Not having to heft the planer up to use it was the main deciding factor.

Gary Kman
02-19-2012, 8:59 AM
I needed the jointer under the wing so bad that I cut down the base several inches before installing mobile base so it would fit. Have to bend over a little more but I don't use it all day. Router in out feed table of table saw.

HANK METZ
02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Why not have your cake and eat it too with a flip table!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBnjoOvQ_X0

- Beachside Hank

frank shic
02-19-2012, 10:15 AM
that's a cool design, hank. do you have a fast way of connecting up the DC?

glenn bradley
02-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I have had a router table in the wing since way back. I prefer it there space and convenience wise.

A fliptop for the planer would definitely double your space and make a home for a second tool.

224244 224245 224248 224246 224247

P.s. That planer is for sale ;) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180920-DW-734-Planer-Local-Pickup-in-Southern-California&highlight=

HANK METZ
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
that's a cool design, hank. do you have a fast way of connecting up the DC?

Yes I do Frank, the first iteration is just to prove concept:

I'm now going forward with a permanent mount, not as tall, so it can be left in place with just a simple hose snug up to facilitate dust collection. I found I really don't need to use the built- in 2" port, as some of the guys have said it's not all that efficient anyway. For the planer I mounted the after market dust hood, again just slip on the pickup hose and go:
The no- tool thumb screw hose clamps are a boon to moving it rapidly from fitting to fitting.

- Beachside Hank

frank shic
02-19-2012, 11:35 AM
where do you get those? does rockler's sell them? i HATE having to go get a screwdriver to tighten and loosen those things when they inevitably work themselves loose from the port!

HANK METZ
02-19-2012, 2:14 PM
here ya go Frank:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDY6HG/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

Big Horn 11741PK 4-Inch Key Hose Clamp, 5-Pack224320