PDA

View Full Version : YAKSM (Yet Another Knife Sharpening Method)

Phil Thien
02-18-2012, 6:42 PM
I know jointer/planer knife sharpening methods/jigs have been done to death. And there is probably nothing new to this technique.

But I'm going to share anyhow...

I have an Inca 410 jointer/thicknesser. It uses 8-5/8" knifes that are 2.5mm (I think) thick. They're difficult to come by.

I found that 3mm thick knives would fit, and found that Amana offered 3mm knife stock in 36" long pieces.

I was going to try cutting it myself using a wet tile saw, but found a shop just a couple miles from my house that makes/sharpens BIG knives for industry. They offered to cut them for beer money. When I arrived, the gent that helped me was honing some knives that must have been about 12-feet long. There is a large paperboard industry in this area and this outfit services the knives for those manufacturers.

I wish I had taken pictures. Imagine 12-foot long jointer knives (like an inch thick and a few inches high). Kind of amazing. When I was explaining that I needed the lengths the same so the weights would match (for balance) the guy helping me kind of rolled his eyes. When I went to pick them up the next day, he showed me that both the lengths and weights were all perfectly matched, and I handed him money for beer. I can't remember how much.

That was a complete tangent. Sorry.

Anyway, due to the rarity of these knives, I was happy to fall into a couple of real Inca 410 knives. They were poorly sharpened at some point. It sort of looked like they had been free-handed on a grinder by the previous owner. They were out of straight by almost 1/16" (in a wavy sort of way).

I have a Woodcraft wet sharpener I've used (http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/ws.htm), but these knives were so wonky I needed a method to grind 'em straight. And this is what I came up with.

I basically cut a board with two 38-degree slots to hold the knives bevel OUT. The knives are a friction fit. I glued a small sliver of wood into the ends of the slots to keep the knives from sliding sideways.

I clamped a straight board to my drill press table to act as a fence, chucked a 1" diameter by 1" long diamond drum in the chuck, and started grinding away. The edge of the board that holds the knives registers against the fence board I clamped to the the drill press table, and results in a nice straight grind (with one caveat, and I'll go into that later). I ocassionally adjusted the fence backwards by tapping it on one side or the other with a little wooden mallet.

ANYWAY, once that is done I put the knives into another board with two 45-degree bevel cuts, this time with knife bevels UP. I hone the knives so the scratch patterns are headed in the right direction. This gives me a sort of micro-bevel (it isn't that micro, but...).

The result is nice, straight knives that are extremely sharp. And the process goes quite fast. That diamond drum makes quick work of the process.

While the knives don't tend to get very warm, the diamond drum can. I noticed this after a lot of grinding. I can keep my hand on the drum, but I think caution is in order. For touching-up the knives, I don't think this will be a concern. I was removing a ton of material.

Anyway, that is one more method for sharpening knives.

Stephen Cherry
02-18-2012, 6:52 PM
Thanks, nice writeup. I've been trying to sharpen my jointer and planer knives myself also- for me it's out of cheapness. I use a router and stone to sharpen the jointer knife in the jointer- and it works pretty well. The planer I did with the belt sander- this concept needs a little work. Based on your idea, I may try next time sharpening against the drum of the sander, rather than the platen, using a similar strait edge.

Bob Vallaster
02-18-2012, 7:42 PM
Phil,
Thanks for that tip. I've added it to my kit of things to try for my jointer.

BobV

Van Huskey
02-18-2012, 8:46 PM
I like it, the holders are similar to the Duelen holders which then kinda uses the scary sharp approach. Very cool idea to use the diamond drum is a very good idea.

Carl Beckett
02-19-2012, 8:39 AM
I like this method. The relatively slower speed of the drill press keeps the heat low.

Chip has a very similar method some time back, but instead of the diamond wheel he used a friable abrasive.

(and although I do coarse grinding on a wheel in the tablesaw, I much prefer this method - thinking the grit is handled better on the drill press - someday I will convert to the drill press)

Phil Thien
02-19-2012, 9:30 AM
I like this method. The relatively slower speed of the drill press keeps the heat low.

Chip has a very similar method some time back, but instead of the diamond wheel he used a friable abrasive.

(and although I do coarse grinding on a wheel in the tablesaw, I much prefer this method - thinking the grit is handled better on the drill press - someday I will convert to the drill press)

Many (most or all?) of the methods I had seen previously pass the knives UNDER a wheel mounted in the chuck. My concern with that was having to determine a way to finely adjust the distance between the wheel and the table.

I think the going UNDER a wheel in the chuck has an advantage in that it is probably better for the drill press. Most DP spindles aren't designed to take a side load. What I'm doing isn't much different than using a drum sander in a drill press. This will probably result faster wearing of the spindle bearings.

Bob Wingard
02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't know where the idea originated that drill press bearings won't tolerate side loads very well, but I would suggest you look at the internals of a drill press (bearings/spindle) and compare that relationship to other similar machinery using similar setups - the radial arm saw and table saw comes to mind.

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Great idea - so obvious now that I see it done :D. Thanks for sharing.

Phil Thien
02-19-2012, 2:37 PM
I don't know where the idea originated that drill press bearings won't tolerate side loads very well, but I would suggest you look at the internals of a drill press (bearings/spindle) and compare that relationship to other similar machinery using similar setups - the radial arm saw and table saw comes to mind.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you.

I suppose the difference, if there is one, are the mechanics of what is going on. When you chuck a 6" bit and start to drill a hole, any slop in the bearing will be magnified by the length of the bit.

I don't know how valid the concern is. When I was in school we chucked drum sanders into drill presses. Every class would sand their projects this way. The sandpaper would wear and the teacher didn't replace it as often as he should have. So yeah, those drill presses were punished and seemed no worse for the wear.

OTOH, maybe the maintenance department was swapping bearings on them over the summers. I don't know.