PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Turning book review.

Bill Wyko
02-18-2012, 4:37 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24031120/401110566.jpg

Just before my trip to Ca, I had ordered Dennis Keeling's new book, Segmented Turning. The first thing that caught my eye was the open vessel on the cover. That alone gave me reason to buy the book. Since I had plenty of time in airports, I was able to read the whole book from cover to cover. Right away I was captivated by the books layout. It tells a history of segmenting w/o being too wordy but at the same time a lot of information. He also discusses some of the legends in the segmenting world including Malcolm Tibbetts and Ray Allen. As I read on he goes into great detail about the kind of tools and the way they'll be used for segmenting. Of course the book would be of no use if it didn't tell you how to do the math involved in segmenting. In this case he really does a nice job of explaining how to design a piece right down to the math involved in making each piece. Once a person has read this far into the book you should have a level of comfort to the point that you could take on a project. At this point he starts the reader off with some basic segmented turnings everyone can be comfortable trying. A really great thing about the book I realized was that when he takes the reader into the more complex projects, he really chose some very unique and creative turnings for the reader to enjoy turning. He also give away some amazing tips and tricks. In the end, this book IMHO falls right in line as a compliment to the best segmenting books in publication.

Dennis, if you read this, I don't know you but I truly thank you for such a wonderful publication. Nice job sir.

Michelle Rich
02-19-2012, 8:01 AM
thanks for the review of the new book. Years ago a horrible book was put out called segmented turning, a complete guide.
The only value in the whole book was the charts in the back..saved a ton of math. Basic ring guide, compound miter table, framing square compound miter table and a mm to inches & inches to mm. If you have not found that, Bill, try to find it. I never do math anymore!

Bill Wyko
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Actually Malcolm Tibbettes book has a bunch of math including the math for doing staves of almost any angle. That has become my go to book for that info. I'll look into the book you speak of as well. Thanks.