PDA

View Full Version : Finally had enough...........

Bill White
02-18-2012, 3:56 PM
I do a lot of sharpening as a sideline. Knives, plane irons, chisels, etc.
That said, I've been cuttin' (slightly) fingers, hands, etc. for a long time. Just got to thinkin' when will the BAD cut happen:eek:, so I bought some KEVLAR knit gloves. Not cheap, but I kinda think that they are the SawStop of the sharpening side of our obsession.
Just something for you to think about.............
Bll

Van Huskey
02-18-2012, 4:12 PM
A minute after putting them on I would STAB myself with a sharp point! I am the king of getting around any safety feature, but fortunately it has always been minor in the shop.

frank shic
02-18-2012, 4:12 PM
please shoot us a pic!

Brian Kent
02-18-2012, 4:14 PM
Great idea for sharpening on stones.

I'll add the warning about not using gloves with woodworking machines. This is not for your sake, Bill, but so a new reader will not misunderstand.

Bill White
02-18-2012, 5:30 PM
I don't use 'em while woodworking. Just while sharpening. Don't think I'll get a CATCH on a stone, but you're correct about using gloves, sleeves, etc. on the power tools.
Frank, no pic, but I ordered them from Grainger.
Bill

Sam Murdoch
02-18-2012, 5:35 PM
I wish I had such a glove when burnishing my scraper I slipped off and made myself useless for a while :eek:.
Safety - good, blood on bench - bad!

Don Jarvie
02-18-2012, 8:51 PM
I have thought about them when using chisels. Looking at my left index finger with 2 slices in it I may try to get a pair. Then again once the bandaids go on its fine.

Brian Kent
02-18-2012, 8:57 PM
What about kevlar socks for dropped knives and blades?

johnny means
02-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Great idea for sharpening on stones.

I'll add the warning about not using gloves with woodworking machines. This is not for your sake, Bill, but so a new reader will not misunderstand.
Some of us would disagree with you on the gloves thing.

Sam Murdoch
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Some of us would disagree with you on the gloves thing.

You mean you do wear gloves while using a table saw or shaper? :eek: