PDA

View Full Version : $1,000+ for Ugly, No Wonder the Shipping is Free

Jim Koepke
02-18-2012, 3:05 PM
My morning coffee ritual had me perusing the NY Times when I noticed the advertisement for a plywood chair from hivemodern dot com.

Some of the chairs are interesting, but they all seemed to be priced for those in the billionaire club.

I think I just need to put high price tags on the chairs I make and wait for a few billionaires to happen by.

jtk

Rob Fisher
02-18-2012, 3:23 PM
I'm not sure of the specific chairs you are looking at but there are IMO certianly some nice molded plywood chairs from that website. The Eames chairs come to mind and at about half the $1k cost you quoted. Not cheap but worth the price IMO. Some of Gehry's work on the other hand, is not so nice asthetically and significantly more costly. I guess in the end it all comes down to opinion and taste. If I could have a home full of mid century modern and newer furniture I would, and some modern arts and crafts too.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-18-2012, 4:51 PM
Just browsed their site quickly - I immediately see a fair amount of stuff I like, and a fair amount of stuff I don't. But I went to the seating section, clicked "view all" and sorted by price, highest first. I was just amazed that there is furniture that costs more than all the cars I've bought, combined. Heck, the highest priced sofa costs more than I've brought home in a years pay in not too decent years. Granted, as we discussed before in that other long thread, the value proposition is a personal one. And I'm at a point in my life where I'm willing to spend more on a piece of furniture (either in money or time and materials to create) if I think it will then last me the rest of my life, as opposed to making due with something that needs to be replaced in a few years. But the value proposition for a 5 figure sofa is just so far removed from concept of what would ever make sense, I'm a little stunned.

There are a few places that sell small-production lighting and bath fixtures, that are the same way. It's just kind of interesting.

Makes you want to try the "sell one item at a large price as opposed to selling 100 at a decent one", but I'm not sure how you make that work! I mean, I can't just make something and then post it on etsy or eBay and ask 10K for it - there's got to be some trick to getting people with money to take you seriously . . .

Maybe these folks are just really terrible at running a business, and the 5 figure prices are actually required to cover their costs!

Michael Peet
02-18-2012, 6:09 PM
You should see the fretsaws they use to make those.

Mike

Jim Koepke
02-18-2012, 6:13 PM
I guess it all comes down to personal opinion.

I am not much one for plywood, steam bent or otherwise.

I do like mission style furniture, arts & craft period and many other styles. My folks owned a furniture store, so I learned a little on the subject.

The thing that got me started in woodworking was the desire for some chairs in my back yard that were wood, not plastic.

Granted there are some items on the pages that do look nice, but for the price they should be gold plated.

jtk

Greg Portland
02-18-2012, 6:52 PM
My morning coffee ritual had me perusing the NY Times when I noticed the advertisement for a plywood chair from hivemodern dot com.

Some of the chairs are interesting, but they all seemed to be priced for those in the billionaire club.

I think I just need to put high price tags on the chairs I make and wait for a few billionaires to happen by.

jtk
Stop selling chairs and start selling art (that looks like a chair) ;)

Jim Koepke
02-19-2012, 3:55 AM
Stop selling chairs and start selling art (that looks like a chair)

It only looks like a chair...

jtk

Steve Friedman
02-19-2012, 9:44 AM
You should see the fretsaws they use to make those.Mike

Now that's funny!

Steve

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2012, 12:26 PM
It's hard to appreciate Frank Gerhy's work. His "Deconstructivism" is cartoonish at best. My father, who was a noted furniture designer, called guys like him architectural decorators. If you want to see his crappiest work to date, while not outlandish - it's merely as exciting as a bucket of slop, look at what he's designed for the Eisenhower Memorial in DC.

if you couldn't tell, I'm not a Gehry fan. There are many modernists I appreciate. He's not one of them.

Jake Helmboldt
02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Ghery strikes me as the equivalent of pop culture (music, movies, etc). People become convinced something is good, even if it isn't because they are told it is good. The Ghery chairs simply reinforced my notion that he has much less talent than he is touted to have.

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Ghery strikes me as the equivalent of pop culture (music, movies, etc). People become convinced something is good, even if it isn't because they are told it is good. The Ghery chairs simply reinforced my notion that he has much less talent than he is touted to have.
I couldn't agree more!

george wilson
02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I think some designer from the 60's must have escaped the funny farm and found a place to roost.:)

Jonathan McCullough
02-19-2012, 2:31 PM
I don't know. When people look at a Gehry building they say, is that a Gehry? When people see a modernist building as proscribed by sour grapes dullard architecture profs who seem only able to make buildings from the shapes contained in a child's building block set, they say, is that soviet-style school of brutalist architecture concrete pillbox missing some bullet marks and twisted, rusty rebar? Or would that have been too reminiscent of something resembling humanity? I see a future of gray, unlovely, featureless downtown federal building structures, with rows of windows shiny as the silver dollars on a dead man's eyelids, corporate sculpture out front, filled with ikea-style cookie cutter band sawed furniture, the two-dimensional people going in and out being as conformist and imaginative as ants. It's awful, it's everywhere, and it's ready for the wrecking ball. And they can keep their blocky, uncomfortable looking furniture too.

Joel Goodman
02-19-2012, 2:44 PM
I'm somewhat of a modernist fanboy but here's a Frank Lloyd Wright quote about his furniture (which was a bit blocky):

"I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture."

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2012, 3:38 PM
I don't know. When people look at a Gehry building they say, is that a Gehry? When people see a modernist building as proscribed by sour grapes dullard architecture profs who seem only able to make buildings from the shapes contained in a child's building block set, they say, is that soviet-style school of brutalist architecture concrete pillbox missing some bullet marks and twisted, rusty rebar? Or would that have been too reminiscent of something resembling humanity? I see a future of gray, unlovely, featureless downtown federal building structures, with rows of windows shiny as the silver dollars on a dead man's eyelids, corporate sculpture out front, filled with ikea-style cookie cutter band sawed furniture, the two-dimensional people going in and out being as conformist and imaginative as ants. It's awful, it's everywhere, and it's ready for the wrecking ball. And they can keep their blocky, uncomfortable looking furniture too.

I don't know...Eero Saarinen certainly wasn't blocky. He understood fluid movement. Gehry understands cartoons.

Michael Peet
02-19-2012, 7:43 PM
I see a future of gray, unlovely, featureless downtown federal building structures, with rows of windows shiny as the silver dollars on a dead man's eyelids, corporate sculpture out front, filled with ikea-style cookie cutter band sawed furniture, the two-dimensional people going in and out being as conformist and imaginative as ants.

I really like this sentence - vivid imagery.

Mike

george wilson
02-19-2012, 8:27 PM
Silver dollars!!! I thought it was pennies. Must be inflation.:):):)

Rob Fisher
02-21-2012, 5:10 PM
It's hard to appreciate Frank Gerhy's work. His "Deconstructivism" is cartoonish at best. My father, who was a noted furniture designer, called guys like him architectural decorators. If you want to see his crappiest work to date, while not outlandish - it's merely as exciting as a bucket of slop, look at what he's designed for the Eisenhower Memorial in DC.

if you couldn't tell, I'm not a Gehry fan. There are many modernists I appreciate. He's not one of them.

Well I certainly had no intention of starting a trash fest on Gehry. And I am definitely not the biggest fan or Gehry's work, furniture or architecture, but I do think he has something to offer. I don't like many of his buildings and he can absolutely be seen as an "architectural decorator" at times, and that's not a good thing in my opinion. What he does have to offer is a different view, even if it is simplified to say that his buildings simply look different. They are not the typical glass boxes that are seemingly everywhere, city to suburb (this is what I think Jonathan was eluding too). I think there is much more to his buildings, but the simple fact that they look different means they act differently on the person and the city and they cause us to at least discuss them, something many other buildings fail to do out of simple boredom.

Regarding Gehry's furniture, his first production furniture, easy edges, was probably his most successful IMO. The simple material (corrugated cardboard) and fun lines intrigue me. In the end it was more costly than he wanted and he was becoming more famous for his furniture than his architecture, not something he could live with. I also happen to like his roto molded polymer furniture, but it is admittedly rather funky.

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 2:11 AM
I for one appreciate a lot of the designs of the mid-century modern designers. My wife really wants a set of Eames lounge chairs and ottamans and I plan to buy them at some point for her (us) for a special occasion. One redeeming quality is they hold their value very well if cared for, even the current production items. They are made in the US by Herman Miller with a high degree of care. Sure >10K for a pair of chairs is in many respects insane but they will be well used for many years and are quite comfortable to boot. But then again the price of a highend handplane or an Italian bandsaw probably seem insane to just as many people.

Gehry's buildings always move me, sometimes for better sometimes for worse. However, even the ones that I am not a fan of I prefer over the total lack of imagination in 99% of buildings built today.

Maurice Ungaro
02-22-2012, 8:45 AM
Rob,
I agree that Gerhy's buildings offer alternative views to architecture, as did those of the Greene brothers, Wright, Pei, etc. one of the true tests of architecture is wether or not the structure functions as intended, and wether or not it contributes to the sense of place. Unfortunately, too many of Gehry's buildings are fraught with mechanical failure (reference lawsuits against the architect), and detract from the sense of place in favor of the "look at me" approach.

Rob Fisher
02-22-2012, 4:29 PM
Rob,
I agree that Gerhy's buildings offer alternative views to architecture, as did those of the Greene brothers, Wright, Pei, etc. one of the true tests of architecture is wether or not the structure functions as intended, and wether or not it contributes to the sense of place. Unfortunately, too many of Gehry's buildings are fraught with mechanical failure (reference lawsuits against the architect), and detract from the sense of place in favor of the "look at me" approach.I generally agree on your views about function and sense of place. And that is why Gehry is not nearly my favorite architect. Regarding building failure, it is unacceptable IMO to have problems on the scale that Gehry has. To his defense though he is pushing the envelope and it is unclear to me how much of the failure can be attributed to Gehry and how much to the contractor (and or value engineering by the client). On the Strata Center (MIT) Gehry only got a 5% design fee, which is rather small, especially considering the complicated nature of the building. Others you mention, Wright and Pei, notably, had building failures. I think when you are doing things that haven't been done before you will have problems. Failures are still something I try to avoid at most any cost.

Joel Goodman
02-22-2012, 5:02 PM
About "building failure" ie leaks etc. -- in these matters it is common to sue everyone as it's often unclear at the start who (or who's insurance company) you can get payment from. So the architect will be sued, along with the engineering firm, general contractor, roofing contractor, maker of the roofing material, and so forth. I wouldn't hold Gehry responsible for that... And I'm not really a fan of his designs! My dad was an architect and I remember a case where there was a lawsuit about a leaking roof -- a modernist building but the same roof detail has been used 3X without issue by my dad previously. It turned out that the company making the roofing material (one of the biggest) had totally changed the formulation and neglected to tell anyone or change the product #s. Essentially they had discontinued a product and substituted a different one (which behaved differently) without any notice.