PDA

View Full Version : Plywood bowl walk through as requested

Mike Tilley
02-18-2012, 2:10 PM
Here are some pics of a walk through to making a segmented plywood bowl.
cut and glue up your segments to make your rings and glue them together then turn them as if they were regular wood. I turn them a little at a time as you can change the look by taking off very little material at a time. The shape determines the look you will have when finished. I also added a little color to the foot of one this time to see how it would look
Hopefully this makes sense haven't taught anyone to turn as i'am self taught and not sure my technics are what they are suppose to be. enjoy

dan carter
02-18-2012, 2:17 PM
Thanks, Mike. It does make sense. Your finished bowls certainly are an eye catcher. Nice job.

Paul Williams
02-18-2012, 2:20 PM
Thanks for posting Mike. Interesting grain patterns. Most likely interesting amounts of sharp pieces of wood comming off while turning and many trips to the grinder.

Ted Evans
02-18-2012, 2:28 PM
Very impressive looking bowls Mike, not sure about how much I would enjoy turning plywood. What plywood are you using, is it Baltic Birch or something similar?

Jamie Donaldson
02-18-2012, 3:35 PM
I love the colors and patterns Mike, but I'm a bit concerned about your use of plywood for mounting. It has a tendancy to split and shear, and I would recommend maple or poplar solid discs for such applications.

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2012, 4:23 PM
I agree with Jamie and caution you on the use of plywood for a faceplate. Would hate to see it separate on you while turning! Looks like you have your process down to a science as there is no denying that the finished products are quite the eye-candy! Thanks for sharing!

Mike Tilley
02-18-2012, 4:33 PM
Jamie and Steve thanks for that information had never even thought that plywood would be a problem when used like that
will look into some other material.

Keith Westfall
02-18-2012, 6:41 PM
Where do you get the different coloured plywood? Don't ever remember seeing anything like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert McGowen
02-19-2012, 9:42 AM
I'm a bit concerned about your use of plywood for mounting. It has a tendancy to split and shear, and I would recommend maple or poplar solid discs for such applications.

I absolutely agree with you, Jamie. Under these circumstances though, once you put some additional rings on top of it, wouldn't the first plywood ring be just as likely to shear and split, and the second plywood ring be just as likely to shear and split, and the third plywood ring be just as likely to shear and split, etc., etc., etc.? :eek:

Jamie Donaldson
02-19-2012, 6:08 PM
It's not entirely clear to me from these images how Mike is using plywood as a mounting material other than as a jam chuck at the rim, but I also just noticed he is using the chuck in expansion mode in the segmented base recess for support. This is a VERY risky move, applying outward pressure to the segmented glue joints, and also creates a base that is proportionally larger than it would be with a tenon mounted in the chuck jaws using compression.

Mike Tilley
02-19-2012, 8:48 PM
Jamie there is a solid piece of wood in the bottom with the segments added onto the outside of it.the segments are not holding the bowl to the chuck.
i glued the plywood to the top ring and screwed it to the face plate so I could do the bottom than reverse it into the chuck.