PDA

View Full Version : Wattaya Think... Huh !!!!!!! Lol

Tom Mullane
03-20-2005, 5:40 PM
Well I broke down and set up a photo box... let me know what you think.... The worst part was getting these suckers to balance on the piece of wood I used..
I used 100 watt daylight incandescent bulbs, but think I am going to change to daylight flourescents I have been told they work better without hotspots. The only thing done was cropping and letting Photoshop decide the AutoLevel, Contrast and Color Correction... I did not want to play with them at all... I think the white acrylic threw off the exposure on the acrylic photo...

These are pics of some perfume pens I turned yesterday and assembled and photoed today... Acrylic, Bethlehem Olive, Cocobolo and Pink Ivory..
The BOW is from a special deal they ran on some "B" grade.. this stuff has some wild colors in it.. even some real subtle pinks.. very nice stuff...

Acrylics
http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/old%20griz/200532020640_PerfumePensAcrylic.jpg

Bethlehem Olive Wood
http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/old%20griz/200532020657_PerfumePensBOW.jpg

Cocobolo
http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/old%20griz/200532020714_PerfumePensCocobolo.jpg

Pink Ivory
http://www.penturners.org/forum/uploads/old%20griz/200532020727_PerfumePensPinkIvory.jpg

Rob Littleton
03-20-2005, 5:52 PM
Now right there is a photo that does justice to the product. Dang, they look good.

Nice job on both the photo booth and the perfume pens.

Christopher Pine
03-20-2005, 6:23 PM
those look terrific! how did you set it up?

Kent Cori
03-20-2005, 6:25 PM
Really great looking products Tom. I looks like your photo box is working well too.

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 6:38 PM
Makes a big difference, Tom--these are great photos! You still have a few small "hot spots" due to your super glossy finish, but once you get used to your photo box, you'll be able to take care of that through adjustments in your lighting. Good photos really are necessary these days when you are promoting your work and having a good setup like you now have is a key part to success! Any wonder there were several sessions on that topic at the last AAW symposium...and they were extremely well-attended.

Ron McNeil
03-20-2005, 6:47 PM
Tom, Very nice, They look great. :D

Tom Mullane
03-20-2005, 7:01 PM
I don't recall who I stole the idea from, but he is a regular poster on penturners.org... it could not be simpler..
It is a Rubbermaid white kitchen garbage can that I put a white pillow case into.. the subject matter sits on the pillow case...
For the lighting, I used 2 $5.99 clampon work lights with 100 watt daylight incandescent bulbs that shine through the sides of the garbage can... I also set the flash on my Minolts Dimage 5 to the pre-TTL and fill flash setting and a -1.7 compensation to get just a little bit of reflection off the finish... that took a bit of playing to see what the best flash compensation was...
I was looking for the thread with the picture of the set up and could not find it...
NOW this is extremely important... DO NOT... I REPEAT DO NOT.. steal the existing garbage can from the kitchen even if the wife says OK... go out and buy a new one... and HIDE that one from her... LOL

Jerry Clark
03-20-2005, 7:09 PM
Those are really beautiful Tom! Great form.

Darren Ford
03-20-2005, 7:28 PM
Very nice work, and photos.

How many of those daylight bulbs did you go though taking those pictures? We love the light they put out, but they seem to burn out *very* quickly.

John Shuk
03-20-2005, 8:05 PM
The projects look great and the photo box seems to be working pretty well too. I just bought an underwater camera today(off topic gloat) so I'm going to be learning alot about diffusing light and setting my strobe at good angles.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Evenin' Tom,

I always enjoy looking at your work. It is unparalleled.They are wonderful.

Also, you have a wonderful way of displaying them.

BUT............................WHERE"S THE ONES FROM THE "BOSTON WHALER?" :p :p

Bruce ;)

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 10:56 PM
I was looking for the thread with the picture of the set up and could not find it...
I do recall that Jamie Donaldson posted a setup like that on WoW...he's the mater of "Phrugal" photography!

Gary Max
03-21-2005, 7:11 AM
Tom you are making it very hard to keep up with you :D. I am just getting my new camera figured now you come up this. Maybe if I get some roller skates I could move fast enough to keep up.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2005, 7:52 AM
Tom .....Great pens and super photos!