PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking Wood/Metal Bandsaw

Craig Parker
02-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I am considering a 14" wood/metal bandsaw to be able to do some metalworking but I a newbie when in come to metal. I like the Grizzly G0621X which as a 150-3000 variable speed range but the 150 rpm is higher than some speeds I see from charts. I am also considering the Jet wood/metal BS which as slower speeds but is not variable speed. Can I compensate with a slower feed rate for metals which should have lower speed rates with the Grizzly or should I go the Jet? Any other candidates I should consider? Thanks.

Craig

Jerrimy Snook
02-18-2012, 12:13 PM
My understanding from our bandsaw supplier, the rpm is more important than feedrate for bandsawing metal. Most bands will cut metal and wood as long as the rpm is set correctly.

Jerrimy

David G Baker
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a combination band saw and the only metal I will cut with it is aluminum. My metal cutting is mostly steel and steel requires lubrication and I can't imagine cutting wood with a saw that is loaded with cutting oil. I use a chop saw for most of my steel cutting but would like to own a horizontal metal cutting band saw but haven't justified the expense yet.

James Heisbert
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
In terms of metal cutting, my Trajan saw is second to none! I don’t experience metal cutting problems with my Trajan saw. I think this is because Trajan saws are designed by experts in the metal cutting industry.

George Carlson
07-13-2012, 10:02 AM
For cutting mild steel, you will need about 80sf/m. If all you plan to cut is aluminum, normal woodworking speeds are fine. It takes a very strong saw to cut steel. If you look at some of the contour saws (that’s what they’re called in machine shops) made by Dake and DoAll you’ll see what I mean.
For simple chop and miter cuts, the dry saws like the Evolution Rage are the way to go.

James Heisbert
07-13-2012, 4:37 PM
http://www.metalsaw.com/Speeds-and-Feeds.cfm (http://www.metalsaw.com/Speeds-and-Feeds.cfm) This link shows speed & feed charts for specific band saw blades on cutting different metals. I find it as a good source for information specially for us machinists. Hope this helps.

George Carlson
07-13-2012, 5:46 PM
It is important to note that the feeds and speeds in these charts are for fairly high-tech (high$) bi-metal and special blades. The speeds needed for carbon steel blades are about 1/3 the values shown.

James Heisbert
07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
For cutting mild steel, you will need about 80sf/m. If all you plan to cut is aluminum, normal woodworking speeds are fine. It takes a very strong saw to cut steel. If you look at some of the contour saws (that’s what they’re called in machine shops) made by Dake and DoAll you’ll see what I mean.
For simple chop and miter cuts, the dry saws like the Evolution Rage are the way to go.

FYI, the normal woodworking speed (sfpm) should remain at the range of 2000sfpm to 3000sfpm, beyond that speed rate may cause problems to your blade.

cal lidderdale
11-18-2012, 8:40 AM
Years ago I built a bandsaw (popmech kit) for the prime purpose of cutting 2x2x1/4 angle steel. I selected pulleys to get the right low speed and a 18 tpi blade. Worked great - still does. Then I ran across the Friction Bandsaw - 12,000 to 18,000 fps. No lube, the teeth rub against the metal and the space between teeth carries in the oxygen. Walks through a 2" steel bar like it was balsa wood. There are videos.

Dan Hintz
11-18-2012, 6:47 PM
Never heard of a friction bandsaw... have to look into that.

cal lidderdale
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM
A friction saw uses a higher tooth/inch count - and dull because it doesn't "cut" it burns. The tooth edge rubs and the space between the teeth supplies the oxygen. They are also 220V multi phase because of the power it takes to spin everything up to 12-18,000+ fpm. I tried to get mine up to that speed - kept tripping the breaker.

Rick Lizek
12-25-2012, 7:10 PM
I spent many years doing commercial woodworking then got serious about metal and have a Delta 14" for wood and Carolina 16" horizontal/vertical metal bandsaw. When I want to cut metal I don't want to change a blade. I also have various saws, plasma cutter, torch and still use the bandsaw a lot. Wouldn't do anything much different except get involved with metal sooner. I opens so many possibilities such making my own hardware and more.

Jacob Reverb
12-26-2012, 7:01 AM
Look at the Rikon 10-370:

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-370.htm

If you have room for two machines and don't want to jack around with changing blades and setups, consider the HFT metal bandsaw. It's cheap but gets real good reviews from metalworkers.