PDA

View Full Version : Miter trimmer (Woodtek) worth using??

Greg Urwiller
02-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Just wondered how many here use a miter trimmer like the Lion/Woodtek? Ever since my high school woodshop days, I always wanted one and figured I'd have one when I had a shop. But with the power tools available nowadays, it doesn't seem like they'd be as useful. Anyway, there's one on the local CL. It's a Woodtek for $75. Seems cheap enough, just don't know whether it would be a user or dust collector? Greg

glenn bradley
02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
They are fascinating and I see a fair number of them come and go. We each have our own judgement of what does and does not get to take up our precious shop space. Now that I have offered nothing of value I will let those who have owned and kept or owned and passed along this sort of tool speak from experience ;)

Daniel Berlin
02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Just wondered how many here use a miter trimmer like the Lion/Woodtek? Ever since my high school woodshop days, I always wanted one and figured I'd have one when I had a shop. But with the power tools available nowadays, it doesn't seem like they'd be as useful. Anyway, there's one on the local CL. It's a Woodtek for $75. Seems cheap enough, just don't know whether it would be a user or dust collector? Greg

I have a grizzly one that i bought last year, and used it for 26 picture frames (my wife wanted to reframe roughly everything with nice cherry frames :P). They are exceptionally good at what they do, and require no setup other than making a good stop block for them. They are usually used in framing shops. I have made picture frame jigs/etc for my table saw, but the miter trimmers come out absolutely perfect every time, and sometimes even the picture frame jigs require a recut due to very slight slipping or whatever.

That said, unless you plan on doing a large amount of picture frames, you will never use it. You certainly won't use it for something like rails and stiles/etc.

FWIW I keep mine in the house in an out of the way place in a utility room, not the shop.

Mike Wilkins
02-18-2012, 10:58 AM
I have had one almost 20 years, but only use it occasionally. They are great for making a smooth miter edge on 45deg corners; great for picture frames and mitered-edge table tops. These are not miter saws but trimmers; designed to make a whisper-thin slice off the edge of a board. And please trust me; they are sharp. Really sharp. Did not require an emergency room visit, but red stuff was dripping.
If you are doing lots of mitered picture frames, it would be a worthwhile investment.

Tony Zaffuto
02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I've had a Lion for nearly a decade and can count on both hands the number of times I've used it. However, when needed, it did something unique to this tool and because of that, I would not be inclined to ever sell it.