PDA

View Full Version : Hey Van!!

shane lyall
02-18-2012, 1:28 AM
And other bandsaw folks. Whats an old big old Cresent worth? it's in pretty good shape as best as I can tell. I went down to pick up my Woodmaster today and there was a big 20 inch planner calling my name too. I had room on the trailer so why not? I ended up buying it and the Woodmaster 38. I would LOVE to bring the Cresent home but I had about all my trailer could handle with my two new to me machines. I'm in the Smoky Mountains with the family for the weekend but may go back next week if I can get it in the shop "under LOML's radar" if you know what I mean. Kinda hard to hide a 18-20 inch bandsaw. Don't think I can make her beleve my Delta 14 grew up. He is asking $900 and it had about 8 lennox blades with it. Good deal?

I really don't have room so if anyone wants it PM me for directions. It's in Greenville Tennessee near the North Carolinia State line. PLEASE someone buy this thing before I get a chance! LOL! Or at least tell me it's not a gloat deal.

Van Huskey
02-18-2012, 2:08 AM
When you said big old Crescent I perked up, I was thinking you found a 36 or 40"! I am assuming from what I read you are talking about a 20" saw since I can't think of a 18" Crescent. It could be 1 of three basic iterations, a very early one (doubtful you would be talking about how scary it was not planning to buy it, no wheel cabinets, they were just out in the open), the second is the 20 "Heavy" which was almost completely cast and the third would be the welded steel say just like the Delta 28-350 which I will post a pic of mine below. My guess is it is a 28-350 (not sure if the Crescent/Delta had a different model number but it is the same saw) is a roughly 700# welded steel frame saw built from the late fifties into the late sixties (I think). This is a very good hobby saw with around 13" under the guides but is less closer to the wheels. It MAY be somewhat underpowered in todays terms depending on what motor it has on it. It is not the easiest saw to remotor since it has a dual belt drive BUT the pulleys are not a standard spacing used now and the motor pulley is an odd shaft size. So if you remotor and you can't find a vintage one to fit and don't want to have anything machined you are stuck with the horsepower you can transmit via one belt. They came with a foot brake which does not have a micro-switch so you have to hit the switch then stop the saw, one could add one if they were so inclined. If the brake mech is all there it is nice but may need to be re-lined, don't buy the Delta part you can use some McMaster-Carr friction material, lemme know if you need the part number. The guides are the steel block variety and though I bought the full Carter kit wood blocks from oily wood (real Lignum Vitae if possible, not the stuff thay sell as LV pen blanks) or something like hard maple that has been soaked in oil will do just fine.

BTW some rivet counters out there may divide the Crescent 20" saws into more than three categories but these are mine...

I like this saw, I plan to use mine as a contour only machine, it is great for that because of the large and high table. Given the fact you have a 14" this would be your resaw machine, in that capacity you need to really consider your horsepower both in it and possible and what it does to price overall.

All this said there are a good many of these saws, they are considered light duty and were built (like the PM 81) mainly for small shops and schools, since they were much cheaper than the heavy cast iron saws. Although I see them listed with prices all over the place I figure a good runner is in the 600-700 range but I have seen them go much cheaper and much more as well. They usually don't have a fence but if they do have an original it is definately worth something. Bottom line unless it is in REALLY nice shape it is a little overpriced, but if it is in good shape and doesn't have a 3/4hp motor on it and I wanted a bigger saw I would bargain but wouldn't chuck the idea.

Here is my Delta 28-350 just after I bought it, not pretty but in excellent shape. I plan a pretty neat themed makeover when I get time. Actually I realize that is after I started getting some of the old paint off but none the less if it looks anything like that we are talking about the same saw, the Art Deco bulge and creases on the upper and lower doors are a dead give away to this saw.... OK I know there are some smart butts thinking other saws had similar bulges but I am just talking about Crescent saws. :p