PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Trade Gloat

Kathy Marshall
02-18-2012, 1:09 AM
Last week, Cory Norgart and I arranged to do a little wood trade.
A box arrived for me on Monday and I've finally gotten around to taking some pics. He sent me 4 big chunks of Black Ash Burl :D. I'm thinking he used a ruler and square to cut the blanks, because I don't think you could have slid a dime between the blanks or the sides of the box. These look like some really nice blanks and I can't wait to give them a try!
Cory let me know that he received the box I sent to him so I'm sure he'll be posting some pics too. I think I need to take some blank cutting lessons from him.

Thanks for the great wood Cory!

Marty Eargle
02-18-2012, 1:20 AM
Wow, those are some beautiful chunks of wood. Amazing how they are all the same wood but all are quite different and awesome looking in their own way.

Can't wait to see what you make out of them, Kathy!

John Keeton
02-18-2012, 6:26 AM
I am betting Cory's haul is equally as nice, given what I have received from you and your wonderful supply of wood!! I am betting we see some neat stuff from these chunks.

I think I need to take some blank cutting lessons from him.That may be because Cory cuts blanks for a living!;):D

Mike Cruz
02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
That sure is some pretty wood. You both look like you made out well. Congrats.

Rick Markham
02-18-2012, 2:03 PM
Wow, that's a score for sure! I'm excited for you, and even more excited to see what those turn into! Thats some seriously gorgeous stuff, and it looks like you got some neat variations in each chunk. Every single one of them looks spectacular in it's own special way.

David DeCristoforo
02-18-2012, 2:34 PM
Mmmmm... burls.... Sweet!

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2012, 4:13 PM
Congrats Kathy! The grain in the Black Ash burl that I got from Cory was amazing! You will love turning these! Have fun!

Baxter Smith
02-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Congrats Kathy! Looks like stunning stuff!

Jon McElwain
02-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Wait a minute here while I wipe the drool off my keyboard...

Wow - those are going to make some sweet turnings! Black ash is one of my favorites!!

Kathy Marshall
02-19-2012, 1:07 AM
Thanks everyone!
I'm pretty anxious to get one of these on the lathe (if I ever get the steroidal crotch piece hollowed out). The hard part will be deciding which one to start with.