PDA

View Full Version : Time to knock Steve Jobs off the pedestal...

Lloyd Kerry
02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Interesting post, the one on Apple. I guess those who worshiped him and moaned that our technology savior is gone may have second thoughts...

Bill ThompsonNM
02-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Huh? I guess we're missing the post on apple?

Paul Gallian
02-18-2012, 1:06 AM
no need to post another apple hater..

Brian Ashton
02-18-2012, 2:14 AM
I've had a number of apple variants over the decades but I'm getting to the point where I think I maybe growing out of them and need something "better" At present the ultra books that also double as a tablet are of great interest to me - samsung especially. I do like the ability i have on my machine now of running anything I want. At present my mac has vmware fusion on it so I run XP, WIN 7 and Lion all at the same time (the penguin is a waste of time). But it doesn't look like apple will be producing a tablet that I feel is actually useful so I guess it's back to the real world and a win based machine.

Myk Rian
02-18-2012, 9:23 AM
Lloyd;
Why not just post in that thread? No need for a thread from nowhere to nowhere.

Greg Peterson
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Woz recently slipped and said that he wouldn't buy an iPhone. He said if a person is new to the technology the iPhone is great. But he felt it was somewhat limiting and preferred to open range of Android. I guess Woz has stepped outside the bubble.

But he wasn't really offering any new insight.

That said, Apple has been a tremendous positive force in the industry and is likely one of the most innovative tech companies around. MS, afaiac, has never really been innovative. Their approach seems to be more reactionary than proactive. MS projects a petulant attitude while Apple projects a smug, counter-culture attitude.

My main concerns with Apple is their closed eco system. This does produce some wonderful results and generally makes users very happy. But as a Windows user I find their GUI extremely counter-intuitive and clumsy. Case in point, what genius came up with the idea of labeling two keys "Delete"? Do they realize how fun it is to tell someone which Delete key they need to use? Backspace has worked fine for decades and its function is obvious. And yes, I do have to tell a user (the same user) to use the delete key on the left. Often.

Choose your poison. There is plenty to like and dislike either way you go.

As for me, I am getting my first cell phone today. It will be an Android smart phone.

Greg Peterson
02-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Interesting post, the one on Apple. I guess those who worshiped him and moaned that our technology savior is gone may have second thoughts...

I don't think anyone 'worshipped' Jobs. Jobs, for better or worse, was a force of nature the likes of which come along every few generations. His niche was delivering technology to the masses and there have been plenty of passionate discussions about those products.

Like him or not, Jobs was simply a rare person. We may be lucky to see another person like him in our lifetime. Not likely though as these types are extremely rare. And by definition the next one won't be in technology.

John Coloccia
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Time to knock him off his pedestal? What pedestal? And how to you figure that now is the right time and not next week or two weeks from now? The guy's dead, which makes this all the more pointless. I know there's an agenda here somewhere but I can't figure out what it is.

Greg Peterson
02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Time to knock him off his pedestal? What pedestal? And how to you figure that now is the right time and not next week or two weeks from now? The guy's dead, which makes this all the more pointless. I know there's an agenda here somewhere but I can't figure out what it is.

Saw Stop. That ought to take care of this thread.

Joe Angrisani
02-18-2012, 2:08 PM
Saw Stop. That ought to take care of this thread.

Steve Jobs invented SawStop?!?!??? Wow.

Matt Meiser
02-18-2012, 2:23 PM
If he did you'd probably have to get a special cord for it.

But seriously, what the heck is this thread about?

Brian Kent
02-18-2012, 3:00 PM
The one about working conditions in China got closed at 168 posts. Maybe somebody wanted to keep going.

glenn bradley
02-18-2012, 3:03 PM
But seriously, what the heck is this thread about?

Its a test to see how many members will talk about anything and how many are involved in woodworking :D:D:D.

Brian Kent
02-18-2012, 3:33 PM
Bye everybody. See you on a worthwhile thread. Signing off.