PDA

View Full Version : Fastening Joint for Pullout

Mike Goetzke
02-17-2012, 7:34 PM
I built this spice pullout for the kitchen. I made the shelves and sides and was wondering which fasteners and/or jointing technique to use. The front and back will not be seen so I was thinking of just using wood screws to fasten the shelves and pocket holes/screws to hold the top to the sides. I do have a domino tenon jointer - should I also use tenons too? Or maybe glue & screw?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Cabinets/Spice%20Pull%20Out/IMG_3536.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

keith micinski
02-17-2012, 9:07 PM
THat looks like a perfect application for dominoes.

HANK METZ
02-17-2012, 9:16 PM
Over the years I have developed a personal philosophy- a design doctrine if you will, that I apply to my woodworking as well as to my life in general. It is interpretively based on Occam's Razor: "when presented with a problem that has a range of possible solutions from the simple to the complex, the simplest solution tends to be the correct choice.”. This has proved itself time and time again to be true, so I start my projects with the least amount of effort and parts. Some times it needs rework, but many times it does not, and in no instance it has ever meant scrapping it and starting over again.

To cut to the chase, A most respectful "screw it" would be my choice.

- Beachside Hank

Sam Murdoch
02-17-2012, 9:58 PM
Let's blend the 2 comments above into one simple solution :). Domino the case, as this flushes everything up nicely and will help resist racking and then screw the shelves in to the sides. I would start at the bottom then use spacers, of plywood or whatever, to establish the exact height of my shelves. Tape measures and pencil lines aren't "close enough" compared to good spacers. The spices will love their new home.