PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Jar

Russell Neyman
02-17-2012, 2:14 PM
Here's last weekend's project, a lidded box/jar made from some box elder I had laying around. The detail on the top of the lid is an antique button (carved bone, I think) and the finish is BLO, shellac, and six coats of lacquer. Measures seven inches tall and four inches wide, and opens between the two beads. It's hard to see from the angle of the photograph, but it's slightly tapered, narrower just below the first bead.

224014 224015

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2012, 2:35 PM
That is nice Russell. Button is pretty cool.

Jim Burr
02-17-2012, 3:10 PM
No that's not a shape you see every day...I love it! Great work Russell!!

Baxter Smith
02-17-2012, 6:36 PM
Nice idea. I have thought about adding an old button to the top of a bottlestopper but never a box.

Bill Wyko
02-17-2012, 7:29 PM
Very nice idea Russell and nice touch with the button.

Russell Neyman
02-17-2012, 8:38 PM
As some of you know, I'm a historian, and always looking for a way to tie the old in with the new. You'd be surprised was a half hour wandering through a thrift store or a flea market will turn up -- an old button, a tie tack, a vintage piece of costume jewelery -- that will add a bit of pizazz to a piece. And it gives new life to something that is otherwise lost and insignificant.

Thanks, Baxter and others, for the positive feedback.

Eric Holmquist
02-17-2012, 9:27 PM
The button is a great touch added to a nice turning. That Box Elder has all sorts of interesting stuff going on!

Michelle Rich
02-18-2012, 7:20 AM
nice canister/box/jar!!! Surely a different shape/details..interesting

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2012, 4:40 PM
Interesting shape to your canister! I like the design of the lid. Looks like it would be fairly easy to remove the top. The button is a great idea! Adds just a little something unexpected to the mix! Nice work Russell!

Russell Neyman
03-09-2012, 2:22 PM
I am so, so lazy about my photography!! Oh, well... Here are some better shots of the jar; the earlier shots made the Box Elder look blue. As I noted earlier, the jar has a slight taper toward the top, and the lid releases between the two beads. I've gotten multiple comments about the button. It's an old button carved from bone (as best I can tell) that I picked up in a consignment antiques shop, but it's just one thing I do to add that little extra pazazz to my lidded stuff. I plan to start another thread about ornamentation later.

226583 226584

Tim Rinehart
03-09-2012, 2:58 PM
I like this jar and the button is a suiting compliment and accent for it. Nice work...I'll never be the same again as I get out to the markets!