PDA

View Full Version : Charging for mistakes

Dan Ashlin
02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
This is something that I've pondered for a while and I just had an incident that made me think to post. What do you do about misspellings on items when you get hand written copy. I jut did a piano plaque that was Don instead of Dan. Now, that's my mistake because I read it wrong, but I read it wrong because the copy was hand written. I know I should be more strict about a typed (preferably e-mailed) copy, but sometimes you get customers who just come in, slam it down and that's it, i'd spend more time arguing to get proper copy than i would in actually doing the item. So, should I charge them for the mistake or myself?

Mark Sipes
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
You better not charge me for your mistake............!!!!!!! I feel you pain though.

I always prepare a paper copy of what I think they are saying and get approval...... Then it is their mistake. Solution : Have them e-mail copy, accept typed copy only, and still have a proof copy signed.

I have done more redo's of dates , then I care to count... not my mistake....

Dan Ashlin
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
True, and dont worry, i wont charge you lol. I jsut find it hard to get all that done with the copy when they come in wednesday and need it today during the middle of the rec centers huge spring soccer order. Being a one man operation sometimes feels like a one man mistake operation lol.

Ross Moshinsky
02-17-2012, 1:04 PM
We have face this problem fairly frequently. There are a few things you can do.

1. Type it up while they stand there. Make them read it over and sign the paper that everything is ok.
2. Tell them you're going to send them a proof in the evening via email. They need to approve it by the morning in order to hit their deadline.
3. Tell them to go home and type it up and email it to you.

In the end, it falls in your hands to make sure you stick to a procedure and follow it. It's not easy.

Dan Hintz
02-17-2012, 1:12 PM
You have to take some responsibility for the transaction... and by that, I don't mean paying out of pocket for mistakes, I mean doing everything reasonable to avoid having such mistakes. Customers sign an agreement that holds them responsible for proper spelling checks, but it's up to me to provide them with the opportunity and means to make such a check. If they come in Tuesday morning, hand me a handwritten description that they need after lunch the same day, I won't be held responsible for misreading their poor handwriting... but I ask them to give me 10 minutes to type it up, at which point they can proofread and sign. If they proofread, the onus is on me to do it right... if they don't, well, it falls back on them.

I will redo any mistakes, but I watch where my limitations lie. If the mistake is theirs, they will usually pay the entire shop rate again... I may discount if it's a known/repeat customer, someone who is reasonable about where the fault lies, etc. If the mistake is mine, I will eat the cost of the re-engraving, and often offer them a discount on the original engraving service to offset the cost of purchasing a new item. I will not (and this is stated in writing) be held liable for the cost of the materials being engraved for the usual one-off. Bulk orders offer more leeway.

I don't make many mistakes, thankfully, and I'll raise my prices quite a bit of the substrate offers a higher risk to my bottom line

Gary Hair
02-17-2012, 2:33 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself

Robert McGowen
02-17-2012, 3:00 PM
If the mistake is mine, I will eat the cost of the re-engraving, and often offer them a discount on the original engraving service to offset the cost of purchasing a new item.

Dan,

I am not in this business, so I am just looking at this as a customer. Are you saying that if I buy something from you and you engrave it incorrectly and it is your fault, that I will have to PAY FOR ANOTHER of whatever is being engraved and you will be so nice as to not even charge me to engrave it a second time?

Martin Boekers
02-17-2012, 3:04 PM
Computers and printers are cheap, have one set up on the counter with a digital form for them
to type in. Not only is this a good idea for text issues, but if done correctly you can
save all the contact info, emails & purchase info in a data base or spreadsheet. This
information is invaluable for future reference.

When I make a mistake I cover the cost and turn it around as quick as possible. I even
have delivered the corrected piece to an event.

When customer makes the mistake, I still turn it around as quick as possible and
typicall charge half price depending upon the item. that is unless a the client starts
to trend with wrong info on their ordesr, then it's a case by case basis.

I absolutly will not take a phone order, must be in person or by fax or email.
If hand written I read what they have done and if I feel that an area might
be misunderstood I question it and make corrections to it.

I treat the customer how I would like to be treated. I have made mistakes
and will in the future, we all do. The response on how we handle it does make
a difference. It's wise to choose your battles with clients carefully. It's not
what he pays to have the job redone, it's what he tells friends, associates
and everyone else that will listen about your business that counts. :)

Jim Beachler
02-17-2012, 3:33 PM
If it is handwritten, I rewrite it again in my handwriting (which only I can read) and spell out every name and unusual word verbally so they hear me spell it out. Once the order is entered, another person verifies that the order is correct. Having two different set of eyes looking at it has reduced my mistakes to a very small amount.

Mark Ross
02-17-2012, 3:58 PM
We get sign offs on all artwork no matter how simple, and even if the customer gives us a laser ready file. We won't cut 100 of something even if we get a .cdr file. It is the whole first article approval /ISO thing. It has saved our bacon more than once.

Dee Gallo
02-17-2012, 4:11 PM
I go over every word with my customers, telling them I don't want any spelling errors. They confirm, whether in person by mail or email, but they must confirm. If I make a mistake after that, it's on me and I make it up with no cost to them, in the fastest time possible. Over the course of engraving probably thousands of mah jong tiles in the past 8 years, most of which are one-of-a-kind pieces, I have only made one mistake which could not be made right. I gave the customer a gift certificate/credit and she has come back many times since then for more work.

Handwritten or typed, people will make mistakes... it's up to you to avoid problems later by questioning anything that looks or feels wrong. You never know, sometimes they WANT the mis-spelling on purpose, so don't just make corrections without checking first. Assuming is dangerous. I like to have a paper trail for reference just in case, and this has saved me many headaches because people have poor memories and will say "I thought I told you _____ " or "Oh, I though we were talking about _____". I also make a copy of every check I get on the original order so they stay together for future reference.

cheers, dee

Remember the motto of Daniel Boone: "Be sure you're right, then go ahead" Words to live by

Neil Pabia
02-17-2012, 5:31 PM
My error, I eat it. Their error, they eat it. Illegible handwriting, I call and ask them to either email it to me or text it to me so I have a clear copy of what they are mispelling. I won't work on something I can't read clearly.

Dan Hintz
02-17-2012, 7:55 PM
I am not in this business, so I am just looking at this as a customer. Are you saying that if I buy something from you and you engrave it incorrectly and it is your fault, that I will have to PAY FOR ANOTHER of whatever is being engraved and you will be so nice as to not even charge me to engrave it a second time?
I should have been more specific... if the customer provides the substrate, I limit my liability to the engraving process. I will not be caught out buying a $5k Fender Stratocaster because I made a goof on the engraving. If the customer forces me to accept responsibility before I start, I guarantee my engraving cost is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,100+, with a 10% discount if I don't make a mistake. The more expensive the substrate, the more risk I run, so the cost goes up significantly. I avoid that whole mess by essentially saying "engrave at your own risk".

If I provide the substrate, I've built in enough padding to my price that I can do it over without losing my shirt.

If it is handwritten, I rewrite it again in my handwriting (which only I can read) and spell out every name and unusual word verbally so they hear me spell it out. Once the order is entered, another person verifies that the order is correct. Having two different set of eyes looking at it has reduced my mistakes to a very small amount.
Not really sure how that protects you. If no one can read your handwriting but you, there's still no proof-reading going on, but now the fault lies with you if something goes wrong... speaking the words/spelling back to the customer isn't an acknowledgement in writing.

Rodne Gold
02-17-2012, 10:47 PM
I just query anything thats not clear and provide proofs for anything expensive or multiple runs , on large number multiple runs I do a sample.
Small jobs I redo free if its a customer mistake , write off the cost to goodwill , depends on what the item/substrate is on costing of an expensive/volume redo - but its always a bit cheaper than the initial run - also a goodwill thing.
I try find inexpensive solutions for customers that have made mistakes on stuff , often the addition of a covering plate is all that's needed , so long as it doesnt look like an afterthought or an obvious attempt to cover a mistake.
Any mistake WE make is just redone without question or cost.
Rule no 1 in my business is that we NEVER take engraving verbally , it always has to be in the customers hand , whether manually written , fax , e-mail etc.

Bill Cunningham
02-18-2012, 2:56 PM
What Rodney said above.... The only difference, is I do not under any circumstances accept hand written info. If it's typed and faxed, and something is questionable I call and ask. The customer always signs off on a proof. Many times the customer is standing across the counter, and I will tell them to go home, and email the text in a plain text format, then I just cut and paste into Corel, and change the font etc.. If the error is mine,(and I hate to admit I have made a few) I replace the item, or do what ever I have to, to make it right. If someone faxes me a whole bunch of text that I have to type in, I tell them to either email it to me, or there will be a $80.00 artwork charge. I always seem to get the email at that point..

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-18-2012, 5:04 PM
I'm with Rodney too. I do however have a few long-term customers who are allowed to call and say "I need such-n-such right away. Can you do it?" and since I already have all the data on file, we'll clearly spell out the names and verify it all verbally on the phone. I can do this because we have a good working relationship with each other and have a level of trust after all these years.

Last year, 3 of those customers notified me after they received their items that they had been mis-informed of the spelling. While all of them offered to pay full price for replacements, I gave them discounts and encouraged them to keep the "bad" ones so we could be creative and cover the mis-spelled names with Flexibrass cut to a complimentary shape and use them for future awards. Two of those customers have told a great number of people about the outstanding service they received and I gained quite a few more repeat sales from new customers from them. The third customer liked the Flexibrass solution so much better that they now order their items with the Flexibrass.

Since almost all of my communication is via email & proofs, I do not have an issue with bad handwriting other then my own notes. But ... I have had a few customers try to tell me that I engraved the wrong name ... and then say they would like some other data changed "while I'm at it." Uh. No. They either receive an identical replacement with the spelling "corrected" or they pay for a new item with the new name, title, date, graphic, whatever. Surprisingly, I have never had to re-engrave an indentical item with the correct name, yet I have engraved several new items with a different name or different data.