PDA

View Full Version : Home Security System

Rich Konopka
03-20-2005, 1:53 PM
I'm thinking of installing a new security system for our home and my growing workshop. I'm thinking of going with an ADT like system that is monitored.

Can someone provide me with some hints on what to look for and what to watch out for?

Thanks

Bob Weisner
03-20-2005, 2:11 PM
Does the home security system have a battery back-up in case the power goes out? I don't like those systems for a few reasons:

1. In my area, we are getting the power outages at least 2 to 3 time per year. More often in heavy thunderstorms.

2. The systems seem to give alot of false alarms.

3. The monthly cost is alot for what little you get out of it.

4. I have always felt that a big dog is more of a deterent than a alarm system.

Bob

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 2:48 PM
The one thing to watch out for is a low-ball price on the "system" with a big investment in additional necessary gear as well as high monitoring costs. I prefer local security contractors for that reason over the national "names". The nationals have been advertising these remarkably low system costs...and then you find out that you need hundreds of bucks of additional stuff to make the system be functional for all but the smallest home. Things like extra keypads where you need them (the low-ball systems generally include one) so you can have one in the MBR and at additional entry points; enough contacts/breakage/IR sensors to give you the proper coverage, etc. Wired vs. wireless can also affect the cost. (My property pretty much required wireless for a lot of the installation due to it's nature and the inabliity to get wires to many areas)

It's a good idea to have fire monitoring as part of the system and it may get you a lower insurance rate, too...check with your agent.

Rob Littleton
03-20-2005, 2:48 PM
Interesting.

I was talking to a guy at work who was in jail and was sentanced to 49 years because of his habit of stealing to feed his drug habit. He didnt serve 49 but he served 9 in all.

They has totally turned around and holds a steady job and has a family now. I spent several hours working and talking with him about his past and learned a lot.

He tells me, on one occasion, during the night (4am), he entered a house thru the window and was faced by 4 dogs. He went to the refrigaerator and fed the dogs something from the fridge. They were his buddies and followed him around until he left. He said, it was then they barked.

On a side note, I have the ADT system and Ialso have dogs. I rest easy at night knowing if the dogs befriend someone that shouldnt be around, the alarm system will let me know. He tells me alarms bothered him more than dogs.

I have the wireless ADT system with all contacts and no motion detectors because of dogs and kids that need to move around at night. The alarm company called me last week and told me I needed a new battery in my patio door sensor. How the heck they knew that blew me away but they did know it and they were right. Thats peace of mind right there. Battery was $9 ....DOH

Yes, it was expensive but so is a robbery.

Just an FYI and personal opinion.

Cheers

Jerry Olexa
03-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Many good pts above. Security and peace of mind are worth the $. My tip is regarding the package price. Negotiate as you go through the process. They seem to want the installation above all and live off the monthly fees. (you'll probably have to sign a 2 yr contract). I also have a big dog who also assists. I also like local companies. Sleep safe!

Ken Salisbury
03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
I have the standard "Redneck Security System" for both the shop and the house:

Dennis Peacock
03-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I have the standard "Redneck Security System" for both the shop and the house:

Hey!!!!!!! I have the same home security as you!!! :D ;) Costs me nothing per month and if you think you can sneak on my property and get away with it? Forget it. I've shot a car before that contained pesky teenagers that kept trying to gain access to my home...they tried on more than three occassions. So I fixed the problem. ;)

Randy Moore
03-21-2005, 8:51 PM
Hey!!!!!!! I have the same home security as you!!! :D ;) Costs me nothing per month and if you think you can sneak on my property and get away with it? Forget it. I've shot a car before that contained pesky teenagers that kept trying to gain access to my home...they tried on more than three occassions. So I fixed the problem. ;)
Dennis,
When and if I decide to meet you and visit you I WILL give two weeks notice and come in with a white flag waving.:eek: :D

I have the 20 and 12 gauge version of that security system.

Randy

Richard Gillespie
03-21-2005, 9:20 PM
I have the ADT system in my home. We had it installed 10 years ago after someone tried to kick in the back door while we were out. We used wireless sensors because of the design of our house. It has battery back up but that only lasts about 8 hours in an extended outage. The batteries on the individual sensors are expensive at $9.00 dollars each but they last 5 or so years. With a 3000 square foot home the system cost $1800.00 to install 10 years ago.

One thing you need to considerer on these systems is that the phone line should enter the house underground or be hidden. If someone wants to defeat the system all they have to do is cut the phone line.

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 10:44 PM
One thing you need to considerer on these systems is that the phone line should enter the house underground or be hidden. If someone wants to defeat the system all they have to do is cut the phone line.
There is also the alternative of a wireless backup connection for alarming if you have a property that warrants that. These are usually cellular in nature and are installed conceiled in the attic or some other out-of-the-way place. Ching, ching, however...

Rich Konopka
03-22-2005, 7:00 AM
I like the smith and wesson as the best security system however I am a wimp and afraid of guns and I also believe the Mrs. would not approve. How is the S&W system set up to handle intruders when you are away from home?:p

When we had our home built it was prewired for windows and motion sensors. I am going to get a few quotes and see what it costs. I have decided that I am going to go with Security, Fire and Flood monitoring. The Flood monitoring is of interest to me because I had my basement flood when the water heater farted. I have an automatic shutoff with float and pan on it now but I am paranoid because of the equipment I own.

Our telephone line does run underground but the box is still exposed to the outside. I will see what they have to say about that.

Thanks

Jim DeLaney
03-22-2005, 8:47 AM
I have the 20 and 12 gauge version of that security system.

Randy

Yeah, there's nothing more attention-getting than the sound of a Remington 870 bolt slamming home in the dark...

Matt Meiser
03-22-2005, 8:55 AM
What is the range on the wireless sensors? Can the base unit be in the house covering sensors in another building 100' away?

Anyone using one of the DIY wireless systems?

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 10:28 AM
What is the range on the wireless sensors? Can the base unit be in the house covering sensors in another building 100' away?
The range on the 400mhz stuff is supposedly several hundred feet. Smarthome.com has information on them for the DIY, too.

Bob Winkler
03-29-2005, 11:30 AM
I put my own system together using high quality professional components from a couple of online suppliers. Lots of great technical advice both online and on the phone. They also offer monitoring at reduced rates. I used a mix of Ademco wired and wireless components, and a mix of interior motion and perimeter sensors. I found I could put a better and less costly system together than was offered by the big companies.

http://www.aesecurity.com/
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

In addition, I also added a cheap Radio Shack dialer that calls my wife and my cell phones in case of an alarm. I guess I like to know what's happening.
Bob

Rich Konopka
03-31-2005, 7:10 AM
Here is a follow-up to my search for a new security system. Our house is prewired for all of the doors and windows on the first floor and garage.

I had ADT come out to evaluate and give me a quote. Over $2100 and $42 a month monitoring. ADT would not use the prewired contact and chose to add on $50 per window and door. This price did not include the celluar backup system which was an additional $200 and $8 month. They require a 3 year contract.

I also had 2 local guys come out (1 did not show) to quote and his price was $730 for the sames exact system(Addemco) and the monioring fee would be 19.95/month ( 17.95 if I prepay for a year) for fire and security.

some other noteworthy items:
The monitoring is local (next town over from me) as opposed to ADT's regional centers.

This guy is on call 24x7x365 as opposed to ADT requires a service contract for 3 years and will come within 48 hours.

I can add on security cameras and hook up to my PC as a record for a couple of hunderd bucks. ADT does not offer this.

I guess with all of the savings I can buy some new toolys :D:p

Jim Becker
03-31-2005, 9:14 AM
Rich, I'm glad that you found a local firm...your experience mirrors my own research when it comes to cost for the install and the monitoring. Just be sure to check references, BBB, local law enforcement, etc., to be sure the firm is reputable considering the "access" it gives them to your home.