PDA

View Full Version : Target Coating EM6000 question

Mike Nguyen
02-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I am doing some built-in cabinets. I am staining the cabinets with Varathane oil base stain and would like to use EM6000 as top coat. Do I need to put on a sealer coat such as EM1000 sealer coat or dewaxed shellac prior to spraying the EM6000? Also what's comparable with EM6000 that I can buy locally from General Finishes.
Thanks
Mike

Jim Becker
02-17-2012, 9:19 PM
I personally always use de-waxed shellac as a barrier coat between the coloration and the EM6000 top coats. If your Varathane is fully (and I do mean fully) cured, you may not have an issue, but that takes a long time. I prefer to spray that light layer of shellac to be sure.

Mike Nguyen
02-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks Jim for the advice. I can wait for a week after applying the stain to make sure it's fully cured. In the past I always used General Finishes Wipe on poly or their waterbase EF High Performance poly but want to try lacquer this time since "poly is for floor" :confused:. I'll spray a coat of the EM1000 sealer coat before EM6000.
Mike

John TenEyck
02-19-2012, 8:45 PM
I think GF's Enduro WB Lacquer might be the equivalent of EM 6000. Don't know if it would be available in a local store, however.

http://www.generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-topcoats-and-sanding-sealers/enduro-water-base-lacquer

Jim Becker
02-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Mike, do a sample piece with your stain, let it cure fully and do a test application on it before you move to your real project. You want to be sure that you get good adherence. Water borne finishes (like anything with polyurethane in them) are much more particular about what they go over.

Mike Nguyen
02-20-2012, 12:54 AM
Thank you both John and Jim. I'll will do a test piece to make sure. I think that GF Enduro WB Lacquer is basically the same as EM6000 but I am not sure that it has the "burn in" that I heard with the EM6000.

Jefferey Scott
02-20-2012, 1:18 PM
Thank you both John and Jim. I'll will do a test piece to make sure. I think that GF Enduro WB Lacquer is basically the same as EM6000 but I am not sure that it has the "burn in" that I heard with the EM6000.

Mike,

The EM6000 has excellent burn in. I've shot a couple of gallons of it and I must say I'm hooked. Easy to spray, dries fast, it's good stuff!

Jim Becker
02-23-2012, 7:49 PM
I've also had good results with the EM6000, even when the temperature hasn't been ideal for the product...last weekend, in fact, when I was spraying my latest tack trunk commission. I really only had the air temperature up to about 60-65º F and the project piece probably was a little chillier, albet not "cold" due to using some radiant heaters in my shop. I did warm the EM6000 first before spraying three coats over the de-waxed shellac I sealed the piece with, but it was not "hot". The results were excellent after a full cure. It's not generally a good idea to push the limits relative to temperature with these finishes and I would never suggest it to someone, but to-date, I've been pretty lucky in that respect.