PDA

View Full Version : Comments / thoughts on a Delta 14-070 drill press?

Jim Laumann
02-17-2012, 9:10 AM
Spotted the press on CL for a nearby city. Asking price is $200 and supposedly includes a jig - but have no details. Will be calling the owner this morning.

Pics w/ the listing show some sort of shop-made mobile base.

Comments - opinions?

Thanks

Jim

Jim Laumann
02-18-2012, 8:40 AM
Any body?

Price is high? bad machine? stay away?...........best press ever made - grab it?

I am going to look at the machine in a hour - a comment or two would be most useful.....

Jim

Michael Heffernan
02-18-2012, 9:35 AM
Jim,I have this drill press. Bought it new about 14 years ago for I think $475. It's an entry level floor model press, nothing to write hoem about. Personally, I don't think it's worth $250 unless it's in mint condition. IMO, it's underpowered with a 1/2 hp motor, for any kind of serious boring. It bogs down when drilling larger diameter holes in hardwoods. I prefer a spindle lock depth gauge to the wheel lock that this model has. Mine has some slop in the quill travel, and has since it was new.You might want to keep looking for a 3/4 hp or 1 hp press. Might find one for about the same price.
Spotted the press on CL for a nearby city. Asking price is $200 and supposedly includes a jig - but have no details. Will be calling the owner this morning. Pics w/ the listing show some sort of shop-made mobile base.Comments - opinions? ThanksJim

Myk Rian
02-18-2012, 9:36 AM
Too late to help now, but a link to the ad you saw would have helped.

Jim Laumann
02-18-2012, 10:08 AM
I've not left yet....been trying to do more research on the issue.....

I did find what Micheal said about the motor - only 1/2hp....

When I spoke to the owner last night, he indicated the speed range is 250-3000 rpm - the low end seems a bit high.

Here is the link to the ad on CL....going to delay my departure for a hour.....

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/tls/2853015231.html

Thx

glenn bradley
02-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Missed the one hour window but, bought my 17-950L for $300 new at Lowe's back when they sold them. $200 for a used 14" machine of that format doesn't sound like a bargain but, I don't think you're getting taken either if it is in beautiful operating condition. Depending on your use you may find yourself immediately wishing for a larger swing. My 17" is inadequate in throat depth enough to make me wish I'd gone larger.