PDA

View Full Version : Shopnotes #82 Mitersaw Station - Anyone build this or experience with?

Ken Frohnert
02-17-2012, 7:52 AM
I am looking for a mitersaw station that is pretty straight forward to build - I see that in Shopnote #82 there were plans for one. From the picture it looks pretty straight forward to build.
Has anyone built this or looked at the plans - if so what do you think? I get Shopnotes now but not back in like 2004-5 when this issue was published. I may have to make some adjustments to the size to fit my shop and maybe put in a drawer or two. But I don't want to buy the plans if it is not straight forward to build or will not be somewhat customizable. I would appreciate any help here.

Thanks, looks like a good weekend to get something done in the workshop!

frank shic
02-17-2012, 9:58 AM
you talking about this unit?

Charles Wiggins
02-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I am looking for a mitersaw station that is pretty straight forward to build - I see that in Shopnote #82 there were plans for one. From the picture it looks pretty straight forward to build.
Has anyone built this or looked at the plans - if so what do you think? I get Shopnotes now but not back in like 2004-5 when this issue was published. I may have to make some adjustments to the size to fit my shop and maybe put in a drawer or two. But I don't want to buy the plans if it is not straight forward to build or will not be somewhat customizable. I would appreciate any help here.

Thanks, looks like a good weekend to get something done in the workshop!

I guess this is the one? I haven't built it, but I will probably refer to it when I get ready to build mine. It should be pretty simple to adapt to some drawers. One thing I will definitely want to work in is some sort of dust collection hood.

Here is a link to the cut list: http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/082/miter-saw-workcenter.pdf

frank shic
02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
ken, have you considered putting it on a mobile base and wheeling it outside? it makes dust collection a lot easier: sweep it off the floor instead of vacuuming down the entire work space!

Jerry Thompson
02-17-2012, 6:41 PM
My wife and I built one for our Dewalt 12" SCMS. It was easy to build and I still use it a lot. We put it on and old, old Montgomery Ward table saw stand. It is easy to take it off and tote it about anywhere. The wood has shrunk somewhat or a bolt was tightend too much and I need to shim it so the saw table is even with the right wing. I would build it again and it has worked well for out needs.

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2012, 6:43 PM
That's pretty much what I concluded (wheeling it outside) was the best way to deal with DC on the CMS.
I have a Craftsman stand with wheels on it. I roll mine out in the driveway whenever I can.
Clearing sawdust off is easy. I just plug in the leaf blower...

frank shic
02-17-2012, 6:55 PM
a leaf blower! why didn't i think of that? time to look on craigslist...