PDA

View Full Version : lets talk tablets

Brian Ashton
02-17-2012, 2:52 AM
I am mulling the idea of getting a tablet and have a few thoughts that I hope others can address. At present I'm a bit resistant simply because most of the people I talk to about tablets seem to talk about how they can surf the net play games, watch movies... all useless stuff that would find me throwing it in a drawer and not bringing it out every again if that's all it did. I need something that is also useful. I.e. has good scheduling programs, office compatible, maybe scaled back GIS and AutoCad capabilities...

I would prefer a stand alone product. I.e. I would like the tablet to not rely on an other machine or cloud for me to back it up or charge it up. I.e. I simply want to plug it into an external hdd and be able to back up the internal hdd and or into a wall outlet when needed.

I would like to have the ability to plug into a network as opposed to exclusively relying on wifi or cell connection.

I need office apps - but not, in my opinion, cheesy ones like open office. Do any of the tablets run native office

It needs USB to load external files or attach cameras...

One other thought to factor into a persons possible response. I know iPad has office programs but if they're anything like office for mac they're a waste of time. I'd rather use iWork's and that program sucks.

Can anyone help me out. Thx in advance

PS Life would be so much simpler and probably i'd last longer if I was a satisfier as opposed to a maximiser but somethings ya just can't change

Bill ThompsonNM
02-17-2012, 7:24 AM
Doesn't sound like you want a tablet at all. The touch interface won't work very well for autocad or GIS. If you really want Microsoft office it won't work very well for that either. Windows 8 will improve it, but for heavy word processing a keyboard works wonders. For heavy cad, your finger is poor and tablets are limited in power. So don't even think about a tablet
btw, I just bought a we Dell 3 lb laptop. I think some of their models with a solid state drive would give you most of what you want, sans touch screen, which isn't really appropriate for your applications

John McClanahan
02-17-2012, 8:03 AM
I have an iPad. and from what you describe, you need a laptop. The iOS is quite different from regular operating systems. I imagine Android is more like iOS than, say, Windows.

Rich Stewart
02-17-2012, 8:59 AM
Sounds like you already know more about it than a lot of people would.

Curt Harms
02-17-2012, 9:24 AM
Doesn't sound like you want a tablet at all. The touch interface won't work very well for autocrats or GIS. If you really want Microsoft office it won't work very well for that either. Windows 8 will improve it, but for heavy word processing a keyboard works wonders. For heavy cad, your finger is poor and tablets are limited in power. So don't even think about a tablet

Correct answer IMO. Tablets are good for consuming content, not so much for creating content. IMO accomplishing the tasks you mention on a tablet would be like trying to drive a nail with a monkey wrench. Yeah you maybe can do it but...... There is a new generation of "ultrabooks" in the offing; Thin and light but still 'real computers'.

Marty Paulus
02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
My impression of a lot of the Android tablets is big smart phone with out the radio portion. You can play games, take pics, surf Sawmill Creek and answer email, but for actually doing productive type of work or running software beyound a web browser you need a laptop. Not to say that will not change in the next year or two but for now you need a laptop.

Ed Hazel
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
They do have windows based tablets that you can hook up to a docking station and or have usb ports to plug in a mouse and keyboard not cheap

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1728789&CatId=6958

Greg Portland
02-17-2012, 3:50 PM
Correct answer IMO. Tablets are good for consuming content, not so much for creating content. IMO accomplishing the tasks you mention on a tablet would be like trying to drive a nail with a monkey wrench. Yeah you maybe can do it but...... There is a new generation of "ultrabooks" in the offing; Thin and light but still 'real computers'.
+1, you want an ultrabook. However, CAD is going to be SLOW on it. Get one with an SSD to make life tolerable.

A more complete solution would be tablet + VMware client but you don't want to rely on other computers.

Brian Ashton
02-17-2012, 6:39 PM
Sounds like you already know more about it than a lot of people would.

Well sort of but not really. I've rarely touched one let alone used one but I've paid attention to the evolution cause I see a large potential in them. I just know the environment and conditions I will be working under better and what may improve it and or potentially avert a hardware malfunction and loss of valuable information.

Thx all for the answers it's given good food for thought.

A few points:

Part of my job has to do with me going on site regularly and was hoping to take files along such as spreadsheets, GIS files I generate, autocad files others draw up so I can add minor details and data on the fly and or adding notes and scheduling in hopes of keeping me on track and on schedule... The tablet has the potential of putting all that information in a nice compact and easily accessible "box".

I was shown a bluetooth keyboard that looks like it would bridge the gap between a real keyboard if needed and using the screen in a pinch if needed so it's almost to the point where I think they could be a possible replacement for a laptop.

I just read windows 8 will be fully functional on tablets so I suspect it's best I wait till then.

Two of the biggest things I want though are what appear to be unavailable and that's physical connectivity to a network and be completely stand alone in needed.

And thx for mentioning the ultrabooks definitely a step up. I had no idea these were out there - not something anyones readily talking about. Only problem is me being in australia they'll most likely be somewhere between double and triple the price tiger sells them for. If they're available at all that it; just went on the samsung aus site and I can't find reference to them there.

Jim Becker
02-17-2012, 9:15 PM
Brian, I agree with the comments that for your "content creation" focus, a tablet isn't the right choice. Consider one of the new "ultra-books" which are a more convenient size to use than netbooks and have the processing power to run the types of applications you want to use. "Ultra-book" type machines started with the MacBook Air, but are quickly being adopted by Windows machine manufacturers now, too.

Van Huskey
02-18-2012, 6:27 AM
At present I'm a bit resistant simply because most of the people I talk to about tablets seem to talk about how they can surf the net play games, watch movies... all useless stuff that would find me throwing it in a drawer and not bringing it out every again if that's all it did.

Thanks for the grin, I am only grinning since you are surfing the net and posting on a forum. I do know what you meant but still... maybe I am too sleepy.

Bryan Morgan
02-18-2012, 4:43 PM
Some of our customers use Windows tablets for Revit and some BiM stuff. They aren't too fast, and often experience some connectivity issues, but for out on the job site they work ok.