PDA

View Full Version : Delta Midi-Lathe 46-250, how to variable?

Yuri Sadykov
02-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Guys,
is it possible to convert this 5-speed lathe (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5382) to variable speed in reasonable way? Like buying motor variable speed controller or something?

mickey cassiba
02-17-2012, 5:30 AM
there has been talk of using DC electric treadmill motors, but I haven't tried it yet. I own the last iteration of this lathe(LA200) and for what I do, the 5 speeds are adequate.

Brian Brown
02-17-2012, 9:59 AM
The easiest way to convert this lathe to variable speed is to buy a Delta 46-460. :D Ok. so thats probably not the answer you were looking for. The answer is yes, It can be converted. The "easiest???" way is to buy the PSI variable speed conversion kit. dubdubdub.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html. I have never tried this. I own a Delta 46-250 lathe, and last fall when the motor died on it, I looked into converting it with this kit. In the research I did, most of the people who made the conversion said that this motor is very underpowered, and lacking in torque. I called and talked to a tech a PSI, and he admitted that the motor "definitely had less power" than the original. I have also heard that the conversion runs anywhere from an easy breezy one hour cakewalk to an excruciatingly painful mind bending give up and throw the thing away before you finish process. It all depends on your mechanical inclination, and your precision.

When I replaced my motor I bought a non VS motor (I wanted the power) from PSI (the Delta is no longer available) and they sent the motor with the same mounting instructions as they send with the VS conversion kit. It requires precisely drilling three holes in the Delta motor mounting bracket that fit the new VS motor. The problem is, the shape and size of the Delta bracket only allows 2 holes, and that leaves gravity pulling the motor in such a way that I see a big failure down the line if you don't find a way to support the motor by that third mounting point. If you do decide that you want to do the conversion, there are a few things you can do to make it much easier. I would be happy to walk you through an important step that is not in the instructions. If your lathe is currently working, you can turn some small tools, that make the conversion much easier. I have heard people complain that they wished they knew this... before they took their lathe apart. Good luck, and let us know your choice, and the final results.

By the way, the speeds from the belt changes on the Delta as is are sufficient for everything except speeds below 500rpm, and the belt changes are fast and easy. The VS motor is not much slower on the low speed end, and it still requires belt changes.