PDA

View Full Version : 3520B question

Eric Holmquist
02-16-2012, 3:36 PM
Is there a non-threaded spot on the spindle nose of a 3520B for grub screws to be used to lock a chuck for reverse turning?

On my DVR-XP there is a small region that allows me to use grub screws on my Talon chuck without damaging the threads badly. The grub screw touches down just as the threads end. The Oneway lathes of course have a groove machined to match the placement of the grub screw. A Stubby has no safe spot for a grub screw.

Roger Chandler
02-16-2012, 3:46 PM
Eric,

I don't have a 3520b, but I had the same issue with my lathe.........what I did was make sure the chuck was on as far is it could go, and tight, and checked to make sure it ran true...........then I tightened down the grub screw on the insert and made a mark on the last thread on the spindle.

I took a dremel tool with a cone shaped grinding stone and ground a small flat place on that last thread, then cleaned it up with a small triangle shaped file and had a place for the screw to seat properly............it has worked like a charm and just making that one small place on the last thread did not hurt the spindle at all.............you may or may not want to try this with yours, but it is a common problem, because the inserts are not made quite long enough in my opinion........the manufacturers should address this for those purchasing their products IMHO.

Tim Rinehart
02-16-2012, 3:57 PM
Yes. The spindle has a recessed area for that.

Josh Bowman
02-16-2012, 7:18 PM
Yep, as Tim said it has a recessed area. I just went today to fastenal to get some for my Talon chucks. Funny they don't include them with the chuck/adapter.

Roger Chandler
02-16-2012, 7:33 PM
in my opinion it is not the spindle..........mine has an area for the set screw as well, but the insert is not made long enough for the set screw to get past the last thread on the spindle....[I use teknatools superNova2 chucks].......I think it is the problem with the manufacturers of the inserts........they either need to fix them where they thread past the last thread or lengthen the adapter so it will fit on that recess.

Eric Holmquist
02-16-2012, 9:03 PM
Thanks!

It would be nice, but too much to hope, that the lathe and chuck makers would agree on a consistent recess area for grub screws.

Bill Blasic
02-17-2012, 6:44 AM
The Nova insert with the grub screw fits the Nova lathes, the Powermatic lathes, the Jet lathes and the Delta 46-460 to name a few. If you have a lathe where the manufacturer didn't know where to put the groove or didn't put one there the Nova insert includes a rawhide button that you put in the hole to protect the threads. A better idea yet is to use a lead shotgun bb to use between the grub screw and the threads to protect the threads. Then remember to back off the grub screw on any lathe before trying to unscrew the chuck.:)
Bill

kevin nee
02-17-2012, 8:10 AM
I have a 3520 and when I buy Oneway faceplates I ask that they drill them for
grub screws. They do this for no charge Helps with reverse turning & sanding.