PDA

View Full Version : Therapy

Tyler Howell
03-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Having a tough time getting back in the swing of things after two weeks in paradise. Didn't help that I walked right back into the meat grinder at work that's been steeling my soul since July. Thought I'd give a little tried and true therapy a go, and see if that could lift my midwinter WW spirits.
The wonderful catalogues were getting a thorough review and I've been talking to other creekers about some of their treasures. Nothing like a few new toyls to make the chips fly. One advantage of surviving the meat grinder was a nice Xmas bonus that has started to show up in my pay check.
A new Hock A2 iron for my G. Granddad's #5 needed some attention. I've been looking at the electric sharpening systems but haven't bit yet. Wet stones come out, and after a few minutes a lapping, just enough time to break a sweat, all the energy, excitement, and wonder of the Neander craft starts to flow. Long story short. you need a lift or a jump start? Try the hand methods of sharpening your tools. It's magic!!
As you can see there is enough therapy to get me through the rest of the winter.
Try it you'll like.

John Miliunas
03-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey bud, glad to see you have admitted to your problems and have gone into rehab!:D This is a good thing. And, if I may ask, is this a 12-step program or do you get by with less? And, are you seeing Dr. Shapton, King or possibly Dr. Norton? :confused: Curious, more than anything I guess, though I am looking for a decent program myself. Largely by the advice of my GP (Gene Collison), I think I'm going to seek out the assistance of Dr. Norton. He seems to have a slightly abreviated program using some "combo" tools and, seeing as to how I will largely be starting with symptoms not quite as progressed as yours, I think they will do me well. Looks like I may also seek some further therapy from the good Dr. Lie-Nielsen. Any port in a storm, you know!:) At any rate, looks like the simple and plane method of approach is a good one for you, so the best of luck with it. Please, keep us posted, as we are sincerely concerned about your general mental health and want to be sure you're staying sharp!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
03-20-2005, 8:08 PM
Good therapy indeed!!!

Last weekend (10 pm ish...) I started to sharpen some "marples blue chip" chisels... I was just going sharpen one chisel.....
but then I flattened the back....
and went to another chisel...
and flattened...
Anyway, got thru about 6 chisels - backs flattened via "scary sharp" and then to those NORTON stones you've referenced for the sharpening bit.

It was a lot of fun - took about 2 1/2 hours - went to sleep happy!

John Weber
03-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Tyler,

If you need some more therapy, I've got plenty of stuff that needs sharpened. although I'm enjoying the work myself. I sharpened most of last week and hope to finish this week, although this stupid cold is killing me.

It's nice to have everything ready to go.

John

Dick Parr
03-21-2005, 7:57 AM
Looks like Fun :D

John Weber
03-21-2005, 1:08 PM
Tyler,

I shot a picture of my setup. I have my Tormek on the other side of the shop, but I basically flatten the backs on the waterstones, then set the primary bevel on the Tormek. After that, it's back to the water stones for the Charlesworth method of a 33 degree bevel and 35 degree polish, with a slight back bevel. Once the backs are flat and the grind set, it is very fast and works great. The 2 gallon bucket is great for washing, and I end up with a little camilla oil. The only negative is my bench turns a little gray from flattening the waterstones.

John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pics05/sharpeningstation.jpg