PDA

View Full Version : Plane iron cambering?

Bill White
02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Do you camber (lightly) all your plane irons to prevent tracking. Just some of 'em? Which ones?:confused:

David Weaver
02-16-2012, 10:52 AM
All except one jointer blade that's used for matching edges on a glue joint, and whatever is being used for shooting edges and ends. You can relieve the corners on a smoother however you want to, though.

and no camber block planes, I guess.

Zach Dillinger
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
All except one jointer blade that's used for matching edges on a glue joint, and whatever is being used for shooting edges and ends. You can relieve the corners on a smoother however you want to, though.

and no camber block planes, I guess.

+1 to what David said. Virtually all of mine are cambered to some extent, with the shooting plane exception noted above.

Chris Griggs
02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Pretty much all of them to some extent. I keep a pretty decent camber in my jointer, even when I use it for match planing glue joints - just requires an extra pass or two to make sure boards are flat across the top when clamped together. I guess ideally I'd have a straight across blade also or a second jointer for this purpose, but so far I haven't found a big enough need for it so haven't bothered.

Although on my block plane and any plane that I often use for shooting I just "clip" the corners slightly with a couple passes on a stone.

Jim Koepke
02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I do not purposely camber any of my blades.

I find taking very light final shavings helps me to prevent tracks.

I did accidentally put a very slight camber on one of my jointer blades because it was being sharpened on a stone that wasn't as wide as the blade. To accommodate the stone the blade was skewed. I gave it fairly even amounts of right and left skewing. The whole camber is probably less than .002".

It hasn't been measured, it just came to light when the blade was reinstalled and I was trying to adjust the lateral lever.

One of my block planes also has the working equivalent of a camber from the back not being flat to the corners.

Here is a post on that.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158373

jtk

Sean Richards
02-16-2012, 3:53 PM
All my bench planes have more or less camber except for a 606 that mainly gets used on a shooting board.

Bob Jones
02-16-2012, 7:50 PM
I do the same as David. Camber or no camber works, but they don't work the same. Don't treat them like they are and yu will be fine.