PDA

View Full Version : Please, help identify these chisels

Stephen Russ
02-16-2012, 9:53 AM
I really don't have much info on these. I have done a little research trying to find something that looks similar to the logo but have had no success. Can anyone identify these? I know the photo is not the best. It is the best I have of the chisels.

Thanks for your help.

john brenton
02-16-2012, 9:58 AM
You bought that crummy set? Those are Mofingfong from China, they sell those at HF. I need some new paint can openers, so I'll give you $10 for them.:p

Stephen Russ
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM
No, I did not buy them. If they are from HF, that explains not being able to find info on them.

Zach Dillinger
02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
What does the logo say? The handles look similar to Berg handles, but Bergs usually have a blue or green label.

Stephen Russ
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't know. The photo was sent to me and I don't have any info other than the photo. I was hoping someone would be familiar enough with chisels to recognize the logo from this crappy photo.

Zach Dillinger
02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Oh, gotcha. Well, every Berg I've seen has a fish / shark logo. I can't tell if the ones in the photo have the fish, or if thats a banner. The handles look right for Berg, but either way they appear to be good quality. The brass ferrules make me think they are pretty good chisels. I'd probably snap them up if the price were halfway decent.

Derek Cohen
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
My first thought was that they are "Beaver" branded Berg chisels. A E Berg sold their chisels in Canada under this brand name.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Zach Dillinger
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
My first thought was that they are "Beaver" branded Berg chisels. A E Berg sold their chisels in Canada under this brand name.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Seems like a very reasonable diagnosis. I don't have many EA Bergs, but I do love the ones I have. I'd buy that set.

Jim Koepke
02-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Stephen,

Welcome to the posting side of the Creek.

I think I have one marked like these chisels. If my memory is correct they are European.

If they are fairly cheap it would be good for a starter set to give you a feel for what you will use. They will also help you to learn about sharpening. Finally, as you accumulate better tools you can keep these for the beater work and loaners.

jtk

john brenton
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Stephen,

My little comment is just another repeat of a tired old cliche joke. What I was saying is that I like them and I want you to sell them to me for cheap.

No, I did not buy them. If they are from HF, that explains not being able to find info on them.

Stephen Russ
02-16-2012, 1:07 PM
Stephen,

My little comment is just another repeat of a tired old cliche joke. What I was saying is that I like them and I want you to sell them to me for cheap.

Hi John,
After I posted the response, I realized what you were up to.

Thanks for all of the comments from everyone. I think I will pursue these and see what kind of deal I can get. Let me know if anyone has any other thoughts on these.

David Weaver
02-16-2012, 1:13 PM
I think if I were you, I would try to get them for a deal.

That's no different than anyone else's thoughts, but I also think they're either Bergs or some other swedish (probably eskilstuna made) chisel that's probably going to be similar.

Chris Vandiver
02-16-2012, 2:01 PM
I think they're Dutch chisels. The manufacturer's name escapes me. Probably good quality chisels like Two Cherries, etc.

If they are Swedish or European, either way they are worth getting, if it's a good deal.

Bruce Haugen
02-16-2012, 2:37 PM
I have a 1" "Sweden" branded chisel that is identical to the ones pictured. It is also identical to my Berg chisels, in every way - blade thickness, taper, bolster, handle shape and how they take and hold an edge. There were a couple makers in the Eskilstuna region, and they seem to use the same design and likely the same steel.

Thomas Laursen
02-16-2012, 7:09 PM
It's really difficult to tell from that picture what they are, but I don't think they are Bergs. They look more like a german style chisel to me, than a swedish.
They could still be good though, but I wouldn't discuss price thinking they were Bergs.

Jim Matthews
02-16-2012, 9:09 PM
Nordstaedt?

I also suspect the Dutch.

James Taglienti
02-16-2012, 11:52 PM
There are 4 or 5 different chisels makers with a masur birch handle like Erik Anton Berg's. A couple others were also out of Eskiltuna, like Jernbolaget (sp?) and Gensco. I havent figured out if they came from the same factory as Berg. I heard a rumor that their steel wasnt even close to berg. One maker was out of Germany. I think the red labels are the German maker, but im not certain. I cant vouch for the steel. I know Berg steel is good.