PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to spiral head on 8" jointer, or swap for straight bladed 12" jointer?

Carl Beckett
02-16-2012, 8:51 AM
I have a choice - for about the same money.

My current Grizzly 8" jointer has been treating me well. But recently I have been trending towards resawing some logs to create usable lumber, and much of this is wider than the 8"

And then I have an option to pick up a 12" jointer (older General). Straight knives.

Knowing how much this forum likes sharing 'opinions' - my question is:

If you were choosing between swapping the straight knives on an 8" for a spiral head, verses upgrading to a 12" with straight knives - which would you choose?

(of course I can do neither and just take the money and buy lumber... or beer... or jewelry even - but that is a different discussion)

I also know it depends on what I do. But sometimes I dont know what I will do until I have a particular machine, and then I find its incredibly useful. So lots of good feedback on this site for these things. (is there MERIT to having a 12" jointer?). If it helps, I have a 15" planer and a 24" dual drum sander - both of which get lots of use (and as I think about it - I might add in the option of upgrading the planer to a spiral head - thinking this would be more useful than upgrading the jointer to spiral....)

Joe Spear
02-16-2012, 8:57 AM
If you can afford the old General 12" jointer, get it. You said much of your possible resawed logs would give you wood wider than 8 inches. The extra width would be very useful to you. If you get rich and wanted to do it, you could get a spiral head for the General in the future.

Jeff Duncan
02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Well if it's an opinion your after.....bigger is better!

I'd take a machine that offers additional capacity over one that's a little quieter, and a little cleaner cut, anyway of the week.

good luck,
JeffD

glenn bradley
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Tough call. Has your experience given you more boards that were too wide to joint or - more jointed faces that had to be redone due to tear-out? This will vary with what you do and what materials you mostly work with. That would be the deciding factor for me. I would love to have a wider jointer although I only come across the need for one once or twice a year. My previous knifed machines cost me too much time and material due to tear-out so for my work and what I do, the spiral would win. Your needs and experience should direct your decision.

Brian Kincaid
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I upgraded my 8" jointer and am very happy with it, but given your situation I would trade up to the 12" and save for a 12" byrd head.
-Brian

David Kumm
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
If the General is the older one made in Canada it is not a close call. They were great machines with large diameter cutterheads on high quality bearings. The quality of cut on those cast iron monsters is much better than straight knife jointers of current build quality. I like byrd heads but not at the expense of giving up a machine of the General's build quality. If the tables are good they will be specd to be much flatter than the relatively poorer cast iron used today. If you don't like changing knives, and on a jointer it isn't that big a deal, get the Esta knives. They give a surprising good finish. If using the stock knives, get them sharpened by someone like Bobby at Woodworkertoolworks. Huge difference in quality. Dave

Mike Wilkins
02-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I vote for the larger 12" machine, even with straight knives. Setting the knives after a sharpening job is a major pain. But I got around that by switching to the Dispozablade system. Set it once and forget it. Double-sided knives that can be shifted to one side if you hit a staple (like I did).

Stan Mitchell
02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I vote for the larger 12" machine, even with straight knives.

+1

Given the choice I'd go with the 12". It would be awesome even with knives.

I've never wished for my current jointer to be smaller. I have had on occasion needed and wanted a larger one.

Van Huskey
02-16-2012, 1:52 PM
If the General is the older one made in Canada it is not a close call. They were great machines with large diameter cutterheads on high quality bearings. The quality of cut on those cast iron monsters is much better than straight knife jointers of current build quality. I like byrd heads but not at the expense of giving up a machine of the General's build quality. If the tables are good they will be specd to be much flatter than the relatively poorer cast iron used today. If you don't like changing knives, and on a jointer it isn't that big a deal, get the Esta knives. They give a surprising good finish. If using the stock knives, get them sharpened by someone like Bobby at Woodworkertoolworks. Huge difference in quality. Dave

+1 or maybe +100. You can always add an insert head but there is no way to get the Grizzly near the quality of an old iron jointer, we are talking about Grizzly...

Knive can be a pain but good quality ones in a large diameter head will last a long time and in a situation like this where we are comparing quality levels that are like apples and passion fruit it is well worth it. Plus, if you are only going to have a insert head on one machine I prefer it on the planer. The other advantage of the 12" is if you use evil grained wood you have more ability to skew it over the cutter head.

mreza Salav
02-16-2012, 2:00 PM
+1 to what David and Van said. It would have been a clear call to me.

David Kumm
02-16-2012, 2:02 PM
Also keep in mind that old Generals are quest machines since they are favorites of the OWWM crowd. Probably only behind Oliver, and Northfield in resale value. There is a real market for the machine so you aren't risking anything. I had the room to keep my smaller jointer after I got the 16" and every time I think I should swap to a byrd, I change the Esta knives- 10 minutes- and marvel at the finish. I do like the byrd on the planer though. Dave

Carl Beckett
02-16-2012, 2:11 PM
Perfect - just the type of inputs/considerations I was looking for.

Thanks all! :)

Van Huskey
02-16-2012, 3:44 PM
Also keep in mind that old Generals are quest machines since they are favorites of the OWWM crowd. Probably only behind Oliver, and Northfield in resale value. There is a real market for the machine so you aren't risking anything. I had the room to keep my smaller jointer after I got the 16" and every time I think I should swap to a byrd, I change the Esta knives- 10 minutes- and marvel at the finish. I do like the byrd on the planer though. Dave

+1 again! I am working that market right now and I am looking for a Northfield or Oliver but would take a General in a heartbeat also. YOu can likely use any of these jointers for 10 years and sell them for at least what you paid for them, given the depressed prices now probably more. Try that with a Grizzly. Let me also make this point I would rather have a General, Northfield or Oliver 12" with straight knives over a new Chiwanese 12" WITH a helical head, they are just that much better. Also take a look at the new price of a "real" 12" jointer, General doesn't make a Canadian 12" anymore (8 and 16 only) but Northfield still makes two 12" models and both are north of $11,000, even if you pay dealer prices for these machines you are getting a bargain.

Carl, if you are getting a great price on the General you could probably flip it and make money even if you don't keep it.

David Micalizzi
02-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I would get the 12" General and when funds allow upgrade the cutter head if you want. Last jointer you will ever need!

Van Huskey
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
I would get the 12" General and when funds allow upgrade the cutter head if you want. Last jointer you will ever need!

One big positive for the General 780 jointer is the Byrd head is MUCH cheaper than for many other old iron 12" jointers, about $1k.

Mike Heidrick
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I use straight knives on DJ30 and would not trade for a 8" spiral any brand personally.

Phil Thien
02-16-2012, 11:31 PM
I'd go for the General 12", as long as I had enough funds left over for at least some beer.

Carl Beckett
02-17-2012, 11:31 AM

OK, turns out this 12" Jointer is a Bridgewood HJ-305 (NOT a General or General Intl) - so this consideration is off the table.

I dont read anything especially negative about these machines - other than concerns on availability of replacement parts (but very likely other brands are interchangeable)

Any specific experience on this unit?

David Kumm
02-17-2012, 1:18 PM
Depends alot on price now. Bridgewood specd decent machines from Taiwan. You can still hold out for another jointer. They show up frequently. Dave

Carl Beckett
02-17-2012, 1:53 PM
Depends alot on price now. Bridgewood specd decent machines from Taiwan. You can still hold out for another jointer. They show up frequently. Dave

Price is as best I can tell: Fair

$1500

Not a fire sale, but a decent machine at a fair price

Although I am having trouble finding much info on the particular Model #......

Im not pressured into pulling the trigger, but on the other hand its 'good enough' and Im inclined to pull the trigger (and can sell off the Grizzly and recover a few $).

Of course, exactly how I am going to maneuver that heavy of machinery around the shop is another discussion....

David Kumm
02-17-2012, 2:05 PM
I would call that fair as well if the tables are in good shape and the motor runs well with no vibration. An 8" of similar quality and straight knives would be all of that. Esta Knives will give you a finish and make blade changes easy for not a lot extra. Dave

Carl Beckett
02-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this.

I wont comment on unloading by myself (but am happy to announce that no person, or equipment was injured in the process)

First impressions: Its heavy.
Second impressions: Its big (the table looks like an aircraft carrier next to the 8". I put casters on it and its not hard to push around, but still stays put when using.
Third impressions: Its heavy.

Thats about it. Its landed, wired, waxed, ready for use so now just use it.

(I know I know... pics.....)

Van Huskey
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Looking good!

Mike Heidrick
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Yep - that last picture is exactly why I think you made teh right decision. Someday if you want byrd add it but you could never add 4" to an 8". Awesome deal! Congrats. $1500 is a great price! Heck the 8" PMs are more than that.

Dave Lewis
02-21-2012, 10:46 PM
I bought a used Bridgewood bandsaw last spring which was made in Italy. Very pleased; only concern was the somewhat loud magnetic starter. After e-mailing to the vendor (York?) they acknowledged they are loud, so I unplug when not using.