PDA

View Full Version : Helical head jointer?

James A. Wolfe
02-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Has anyone used a helical head jointer? I need to get a jointer and I'm wondering if anyone with experience would offer an opinion. I'm specifically looking at a Steel City jointer with 12 indexed cutters in the helical head. Comments?
Thanx,
Jim

Van Huskey
02-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Has anyone used a helical head jointer? I need to get a jointer and I'm wondering if anyone with experience would offer an opinion. I'm specifically looking at a Steel City jointer with 12 indexed cutters in the helical head. Comments?
Thanx,
Jim

Lots of people have helical head jointers but most are the carbide insert type. The SC jointer is HSS instead and only 12 inserts in the 6" compared to around 32 for a carbide insert 6". I have not been impressed by their HSS planer cutter head and just feel like the jointer may be a poor example of a helical head. I would also keep in mind the long term viability of SC and replacement knives. The carbide bits are repurposed from industrial uses so they can be sourced from a number of place, I don't think that is true for the SC bits UNLESS they are the same ones General is using on their SC clone planers. Just food for thought.

James A. Wolfe
02-16-2012, 1:01 AM
Van,
Thanks for the post. I was wondering about 12 inserts as well. Seems a little sparse to me. I didn't notice that they were HSS and that is definitely something to consider. I work as a maintenance tech and have access to some pretty good tooling suppliers so the carbide inserts would be relatively reasonable.
Back to the search.
Thanx,
Jim

john lampros
02-16-2012, 5:54 AM
Jim, I work in a shop where we build exhibits. we have a small jet 6" joiner that we abuse to no end. Plastics, polycarb, there's no telling whats gets put through that poor thing. I got so tired of replacing the blades that I bought a helical head for it. What a dream. From what I've read you have to make sure its a good one, I believe Byrd made the one we have and at the time it cost as much as the joiner itself. If its an unknown brand will they let you road test it first?

Cary Falk
02-16-2012, 6:40 AM
I put a Byrd in my Shop Fox 8" jointer and I have a 15" Grizzly pranded head in my planer. I wouldn't give either of them up. I think I would stay away form the HSS ones and 12 cutters don't sound like a lot.

keith micinski
02-16-2012, 7:56 AM
I would agree with staying away from HSS cutters. I think any even bigger advantage of the spiral head then cut quality is the fact that carbide cutters wear so much better. Also if they are HSS they are going to nick just as easy as regular knives and then you wouldn't be able to slide the knives one way or the other. The only remedy would be to turn the cutter which could be a waste of a pretty good cutter still.

Will Blick
02-16-2012, 8:47 AM
At first I thought Helical head is ideal for planar, which my 20" PM with Byrd is truly remarkable.... but jointing I held off on.... then, I bit the bullet... and now I can honestly say, the HH's are equally good, if not better in the jointer. When set up properly, and assuming you have a well machined head, I can not tell the difference between straight knife cuts and the HH cuts.... as good as 150 grit sanding... my guess, in 20 yrs, straight knives will not be offered with new machines...it takes time for the big makers to find ways to reduce cost on the heads...