PDA

View Full Version : Because it was there.... WIP

Kathy Marshall
02-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Can't think of any other reason why I took this piece of pecan when I picked up the af sumac and the maybe almond.
I guess curiosity got the better of me, wondering what just might be inside this gnarly crotch on steroids.
I centered the bottom on the tailstock and just put the spur drive in about the only spot that didn't have any branch stubs.
The cluster at the headstock just cleared the ways. Would have been much easier to rough out if I had done some trimming on that end, but it was too big and akward to try trimming on the bandsaw and too dark outside to try trimming with the chain saw, so I just let it beat me half to death :eek:.

I used my Easy Rougher to knock it down to a more balanced and manageable shape, then started in with my bowl gouge. This is where I stopped for the night. My hands had taken about all they could from holding the tools down onto the tool rest, and when I finally stopped I had to just about peel my fingers away from the handle.
I'm thinking about leaving the natural edge for the opening, but I'll turn the piece down more so there's more solid wood around and below what will be the shoulder area, but still leave some void areas. I'll also shorten it up a bit, probably ending up with the base somewhere around the branch showing in the 3rd pic.
I don't think the finished piece will be a beauty by any means, but I'm up for the challenge and wether it turns out good or bad, I'll have learned something along the way.

Thanks for looking!
More to come....

John Keeton
02-16-2012, 6:13 AM
Kathy, it sure promises to have some wild grain in it! And, I admire your tenacious nature - self torture never has been attractive to me, though, and I just don't have it in me to tackle a piece like this.

Josh Bowman
02-16-2012, 6:50 AM
Kathy, that's right down my alley. I like the form. My first inclination was to see you hollow until the bark is mostly gone so you would have voids, but looking at the 7th picture, I not sure you would have enough to wood left. Either way you go, it will look beautiful and very interesting.

Cory Norgart
02-16-2012, 7:38 AM
Nice find Kathy,, some wild lookin stuff, cant wait to see the finished...

Doug W Swanson
02-16-2012, 8:40 AM
I bet it will be spectacular!

Doug Herzberg
02-16-2012, 9:54 AM
You're a glutton for pain. When I try this, the drive spur invariably starts spinning free and becomes a drill bit. Like others, I'm eager to see how this turns out.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2012, 9:59 AM
That is going to be a beauty. Can't wait to see it finished.

Jon McElwain
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
It's already looking pretty cool! I have turned a few root wads - at first that is what I thought this was. Gnarly for sure, but lots of cool grain on the inside!

Baxter Smith
02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Lots of determination for some tough looking wood but it should be worth it!

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for showing that it can be done Kathy! I assume that between the third and fourth pictures, you've turned a hollow at the original tailstock end, swapped it end for end, and are holding it in expansion mode in your chuck? I have a piece of similar branch / crotch nastiness, been waiting to see what someone with experience did with theirs! I may have to get it on the lathe, when she's up and running again...

Jamie Donaldson
02-16-2012, 3:54 PM
NEVER hold wood like this in a chuck using expansion mode, ALWAYS in compression on a sturdy tenon, as it appears that Kathy is doing here. I'm curious about your lathe Kathy, as I don't recognize the bearing housing enough to ID the brand.

Jim Burr
02-16-2012, 3:59 PM
NEVER hold wood like this in a chuck using expansion mode, ALWAYS in compression on a sturdy tenon, as it appears that Kathy is doing here. I'm curious about your lathe Kathy, as I don't recognize the bearing housing enough to ID the brand.

Agreed! expansion with this monster will lead to a meteor strike in the shop. Should be cool when done!

Mike Cruz
02-16-2012, 4:06 PM
That is simply unbelievable! When/if you sell this, a before picture HAS to accompany it. I bow to you for your strength, both physical and mental, to tackle that piece. It is not only amazing, it is actually a really nice looking piece. Please keep us updated with pics as you progress.

Kathy Marshall
02-16-2012, 4:38 PM
Primvs, the only thing I did between centers was to turn a tenon on the tailstock end. Then flipped it around and mounted it in the chuck. I did not trust the drive spur to keep a good hold with all the pounding going on with roughing the stubs off. I felt much safer with it securely held in the chuck with tailstock support, even if it did beat me up.

Jamie, the lathe is a Delta 46-612.

Kathy Marshall
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Well, here's where I ended up tonight. I turned the outside down more, at least for the top 2/3rds or so. Need the support for hollowing, so I'll work on the bottom 1/3 after the hollowing is at about the 1/2 point. Hollowing is slow going, the wood is pretty dry and with all the bark inclusions I have to take very light cuts to avoid vibration (even drilling with the forstner bit was enough to get it vibrating). Not going to go very thin on this one. I've got the 1st inch or so hollowed to about 1/4" and that will probably be the final thickness.
So I'm just going to take it slow and take my time, and hope that it holds together.

Mike Cruz
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Wow, progress! Thanks for sharing Kathy.

Dan Kralemann
02-17-2012, 1:26 AM
Kathy,

As a fairly new turner, I have greatly appreciated you posting multiple pictures of your projects. It is helpful for me to even see how you mount the wood prior to a turning tool touching it. Even pictures that have shown how a large piece of wood was cut prior to mounting has helped aid me in seeing the possibilities in a chunk of wood. Thank you, Dan

John Keeton
02-17-2012, 5:53 AM
Kathy, you are doing a great job with this one, but if you bring it to completion in one piece you deserve some kind of an award!! This one is challenging!

NEVER hold wood like this in a chuck using expansion mode, ALWAYS in compression on a sturdy tenon, as it appears that Kathy is doing here. I'm curious about your lathe Kathy, as I don't recognize the bearing housing enough to ID the brand.The critical issue is the amount of "extension" of the work, along with other factors such as the balance, the amount of force required for gouge work, etc. To quote the Teknatool chuck manual -
"Expansion of the jaws into a recess. This function is for bowl and platter turning where the projection (depth) of the wood blank is not too great i.e. up to 100mm (4 inches). Characteristically these items have a parallel wood grain. IT MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY LONG WORK (OVER 100mm) AS THERE WOULD BE GREAT DANGER OF WOOD TEARING OUT AND DISLODGING FROM CHUCK."

Jim Underwood
02-17-2012, 8:29 AM
I'd really think about wrapping this thing with tape while hollowing.... Think that'd help?

Following this with interest.

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-17-2012, 8:29 AM
Jamie, Jim, Kathy, John - thanks for the warning, upon a second closer look at Kathy's fourth photo, I see the tenon inside the jaws, missed it on first glimpse. It's *obvious* when you think about it.... Ah, well, hindsight is always 20/20!

Thomas Canfield
02-17-2012, 8:43 PM
The suggestion about wrapping with tape sounds good. I have turned a "hollow" form with open areas where I made a collar with groove to slip on the outside of the form after turning outside between centers, and then using the collar groove for the steady rest wheels. That provides both support for hollowing and support for the non-connected wood. I did use some hotmelt glue to prevent the collar from slipping.

Curt Fuller
02-17-2012, 8:57 PM
That's going to be a doozie! Keep after it and be patient!