PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help

Kathy Marshall
02-15-2012, 11:38 PM
And a little gloat to boot.
Picked up a load of african sumac yesterday and they had some smaller pieces of what she thought was almond. All of the trees on the property this came from are nut trees. It's not pecan or walnut and I've never seen almond wood so don't know if this is even close. I only took this piece as the others were too small to mess with. Looks like it might have some nice grain, and could be some figure going on based on the shape (looks like 3 trunks melted together).

This is about 1/2 of the sumac haul.

This is the maybe almond. What do you think?

Doug W Swanson
02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Sorry that I'm not much help but I'm sure you'll turn something beautiful out of it!

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Turn something out of it so we can see if it is some more of your "drool wood"!:)

Reed Gray
02-16-2012, 12:51 AM
I had a friend just drop off a log section that he got from some one who said it was an almond tree from their yard. That looks like the same stuff. I haven't turned any of it yet, but it is very heavy.

robo hippy

Kathy Marshall
02-16-2012, 1:00 AM
I had a friend just drop off a log section that he got from some one who said it was an almond tree from their yard. That looks like the same stuff. I haven't turned any of it yet, but it is very heavy.

robo hippy
Thanks Reed. I did notice that it seemed very heavy for the size of the log.

Paul Williams
02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
No help here as I have never seen almond, but I am looking forward to seeing the grain in the twisted section of that trunk.

thomas prusak
02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Kathy lets not take any chances with that twisted mystery wood. It could be toxic for all we know. I think it is best if I stop by and get rid of that for you! I'm super jealous btw. The twisted are should be awesome.

Edward Bartimmo
02-16-2012, 1:02 PM
The answer is Mulberry...based on:

1. Sulfurish yellow heart wood with white sap wood, similar to Osage but more of a greenish yellow as opposed to yellowish brown of osage.
2. Gnarly, burly bark that is rough like alligator hide
3. Extremely dense wood (not quite as dense as Osage)

It is a dream to turn wet or dry and holds up well over time. With exposure to light it will brown out from the bright yellow to a warm golden mustard.