PDA

View Full Version : Zia box for a friend

Mark Valsi
02-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, here's another ZIA top to a box I made. I bought some of the "liquid inlay" at the last WW show in the L A area and this was my first attempt at using it.

Didn't turn out so hot ! there was too much "bleed out". It doesn't show up too much in the photo, but to the naked eye, it is obvious. Well at least to mine, I have a hunch she won't notice it, nor that the "rays" of the sun are not all symmetrical.

The top was sanded to 1000, Danish, then a few coats of spray on Poly. Has a nice shine. The box was made of nice walnut just 2 coats of Danish, then some wax.

The interior has a bottom of aromatic cedar with Walnut dividers. The sides of the interior are lined with some nice curly maple. I had to add them because as I was cutting the miters, the saw slipped and I cut into the interior side :+( :mad::mad:

Comments and criticisms always are welcomed

Jim Rimmer
02-16-2012, 1:54 PM
Great looking box; nice figure in that maple. And nice recovery - turning an error into a design element.

John Michaels
02-16-2012, 1:55 PM
Beatiful box! The walnut and maple are outstanding. I think I would have ditched the inlay if it didnt turn out right.

Jay Jolliffe
02-16-2012, 5:08 PM
Nice box...Maybe next time spray the Maple with shellac first before you do the inlay & that should stop the bleeding.....It did on a table I did but I use milk paint to show the carving on the edge. Then sanded the paint off so just the design showed. That also was by trial & error....The first time I did it it bleed also so then I used the shellac & that stopped it.

Mark Valsi
02-16-2012, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the hint. I'll give it a try next time !