PDA

View Full Version : Spoon woods

Mike Willeson
02-15-2012, 9:49 PM
I am doing some experimenting with wooden spoons and was wondering what you spoon turners thought were the best woods to use.I did a first experiment tonight with some ash I had and wondered if the aggressive grain and pores on ash were a negative in terms of getting them clean after use. I also have a bunch of poplar around but wasn't sure if there were positives or negatives for that wood.Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts!

Jim Underwood
02-15-2012, 10:05 PM
So far I like Cherry, Peach, Pecan, and Maple. Poplar is ok, but it's kinda boring, and soft. I've got some Beech, never used it, but it would probably make good Treenware too.

Steve Schlumpf
02-16-2012, 8:15 AM
Mike - I turned a few spoons out of Cherry a couple of years ago. We use them every day and they still look great. Also have a few out of Maple that have held up just as well but natural color of the Cherry just keeps getting better with use!

Richard Jones
02-16-2012, 8:25 AM
Sycamore is a good utensil wood as well. I also like cherry, and have done spoons and scoops that see daily use.

Scott Lux
02-16-2012, 9:36 AM
I've used Cherry, Maple, Black Locust, and Poplar. Poplar is my least favorite. Like Jim said, it's too soft and boring. Black Locust is excellent, but very hard on the tools. Apple is nice, but not easy to obtain in 1x4 boards. That's how I start my spoons and spatulas. Maple and Cherry are the winners for me.

Paul Williams
02-16-2012, 9:48 AM
So far the only wood spoons and other kitchen items I have made have been cherry. Seems to be holding up so far.

Bernie Weishapl
02-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Cherry, maple, sycamore, and locust are woods I use the most with cherry being my favorite.

Thomas Hamilton
02-16-2012, 3:28 PM
I've used white ash and have a spoon, spurtle and masher I've used for years with no issues. I also have used maple, again with no issues.

Jim Underwood
02-16-2012, 3:41 PM
On whether the open grain on Ash would be an issue for cleaning... I don't think you have anything to worry about since bacteria tends to die on wood (several studies bear this out- sorry, no links, but Google search is your friend), but if it's still a concern, go with one of these less open grained woods like Cherry or Maple.

Mike Willeson
02-16-2012, 7:43 PM
Thanks all! Sounds like cherry is the winner for beauty and functionality. Gives me a great excuse to purchase some beautiful cherry.

Doug Herzberg
02-16-2012, 7:49 PM
There's a company specializing in kitchen utensils made from Osage Orange. They brag about its ability to hold up under torture in the kitchen. I think it's second to Black Locust in hardness of North American hardwoods.

Mike Peace
02-16-2012, 8:21 PM
Bradford Pear is one of my favorites. Tight grain and readily available around here.