PDA

View Full Version : Figured Maple Bowls

Lee Koepke
02-15-2012, 8:47 PM
Well, every bowl has a story .....

Bowl #1 was resulted in a mis-formed rim treatment. I loved the curly part and the inside curve was pretty good (for me), so Sunday I decided to make this a lidded bowl to continue the 'sharp' curve and take the bite off the lip part .... grabbed another piece of normal looking maple, started working it to a lid form. The more I cut, the more I saw a birdseye / curl / incredible grain going on. It no longer matched the goofy bowl, and took on a life of its own.

I had watched Bill Grumbine's video (mobile DVD) the night before, and some of his tips made this one of the better technical bowls (ie easier) .... gotta watch the video again!!!!

Well, as always comments, critiques, criticisms welcome !

George Morris
02-15-2012, 9:40 PM
Very nice Maple,did you put a finish on yet?

Lee Koepke
02-15-2012, 9:44 PM
Very nice Maple,did you put a finish on yet?

i used Mylands Friction Polish only .... I'd like to invest in a Beal Buffing system soon to help my finishing process a bit.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Really nice looking bowls Lee. Nice looking maple.

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Nice bowls. I have watched the Bill Grumbine video's multiple times though not for about a year. I think I learn something new everytime I watch them and should do it again as well.

Steve Schlumpf
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Very nice bowls Lee! I agree that Bill Grumbine's videos are some of the best out there - IMO.

John Keeton
02-16-2012, 6:03 AM
You sure lucked into some awesome maple, Lee! Nice pair of bowls.

If you decide to "lid" the first one, I would suggest a contrasting lid - walnut perhaps. Then a maple knob.

Lee Koepke
02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
You sure lucked into some awesome maple, Lee! Nice pair of bowls.

If you decide to "lid" the first one, I would suggest a contrasting lid - walnut perhaps. Then a maple knob.
That I can do! I have some walnut that I can use just for that !!!

Thanks for the comments yall

Jim Burr
02-16-2012, 3:56 PM
It's gonna be great however it's completed! Has a dutch oven look to it and I have a big ol' pot roast ready to braise.

Mike Cruz
02-16-2012, 4:01 PM
I love the wood AND the forms. Very nice. But, are those tool marks I see? On the outside rim of the first one and on the inside of the second?

Lee Koepke
02-16-2012, 4:23 PM
I love the wood AND the forms. Very nice. But, are those tool marks I see? On the outside rim of the first one and on the inside of the second?
yup ..... I never fixed the first one because I didnt like the rim, the second one those marks didnt show up until the finish hit it and the lighting changed .... weird. I need better lighting during my finishing process

Mike Cruz
02-16-2012, 4:34 PM
Yup, lighting is everything. You should see my hallway. :rolleyes: I just got done painting it, and that flawless spackling job I did fell short of spectacular...:o When you put a semigloss finish on your walls, the light bends around every imperfection...something I couldn't see when it was matte.