PDA

View Full Version : Just broke my bandsaw upper guide assembly (Reliant)

Joe Charles
02-15-2012, 4:51 PM
First of all i've got a reliant dd90, I know most think it's a POS machine but it has always done what I need it to. with a lot of tweaking... So i'm setting up to resaw some nice curly maple I've had kicking around for years and the cast peice cracked when I tightened up the thrust bearing thumbscrew.:(
The original manufacturer is long gone so I'm wondering if anyone has one of these for sale or knows where I can get one. It's the part that holds thrust bearing, guide block post and is mounted to the round height adjustment rod.
Thanks, and love the site!

George Heatherly
02-15-2012, 6:29 PM
I did a little searching about this saw and found two references that called it a "near twin to the Central Machinery" bandsaw. You might check at Harbor Freight to see if a serviceable part is available.

Joe Charles
02-15-2012, 7:06 PM
Thanks George,
didn't know that. Looked online and it seems pretty similar, my local store has one on display too so I'll bring my part down and compare. Hopefuly it won't ship out on the slow boat from china!!!
Just in case anyone cares, Carter has a nice bolt on roller guide for just about every saw you can imagine. including mine for like $275!!! Ouch

Alan Schwabacher
02-15-2012, 7:17 PM
I think the Carter guide may be the solution to your problem, but not directly. Find someone who has installed the Carter guides, and ask them if they want to sell/donate their old guides. I think most of these saws are pretty similar, with the main distinction being the diameter of the guidepost where the guide assembly attaches. You can probably make almost any kind fit, some with more work than others.

david brum
02-15-2012, 8:15 PM
The older Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1019Z/parts/2) saws also look quite similar. Grizzly is pretty good about parts availability.

Joe Charles
02-15-2012, 8:59 PM
They do, thanks David. dosen't give a diameter for the guide post. Gotta measure mine in the A.M (saw's not here) and their thrust post is round,mine is hex. would just have to get that too i guess

Joe Charles
02-15-2012, 9:15 PM
Oh and the Carter kit is 244 not 275 like I posted earlier. And the Delta is cheaper. Nice stuff http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=144&cat_id=13 But klick on the Reliant 14" Is that cast metal I see?