PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to intoduce myself to Sawmill

Michael Pfau
03-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Hello all, new to Sawmill, but have been making hardwood funiture for about 3 years now. I have converted my 2 car garage to a shop on wheels. I have stuck with Delta on the whole thing. We have a good Delta dealer here in Missoula,that has really been good to me. I have bought as I could afford, and have stepped up as time has gone by. I have made several things for profit. Grant Creek Woodworks is the name. I enjoy all types of woodworking, but love Shaker style, Mission Style the best. I have been building a pie safe for my wife, and waiting for the tins to come in for the panels. When completed I will put on here. The last several weeks, I have started to turn bowls like crazy! Buying blanks on Ebay. Just bought a Vicmarc chuck, and several more tools to add to my wall. I work for a bakery as a route salesman selling bread. I love to chat about woodworking, tools, tools anything! Here is a picture of a Hope Chest I built for my daughter a year ago for her highschool graduation. Cherry, cedar lined. She loves it. I will add some other items I have built as well.
Thanks for looking!

Lars Thomas
03-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the Creek. Looking at your work, it certainly looks like you've been at this for mare than a few years. Looks great. Lars

Dave Avery
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Welcome Michael...... beautiful work, too. Dave.

Von Bickley
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Glad to have you join us at SMC. Great looking chest. :) :) :)

Ken Salisbury
03-20-2005, 10:43 AM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/welcomeplane.gif

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 11:05 AM
Welcome, Michael. That's some really fine work you're doing there!! And a very nice looking shop. I hope you'll post a tour one of these days.

BTW, rather than buying your turning blanks from EBAY and other places (other than exotics), keep your eye on the world around you...there is a huge amount of free wood that is especially good for turning just waiting for you to pick it up. Stuff that is essentially "trash" for other purposes often makes the most interesting turnings!

Darren Ford
03-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Those are nice peices, I can only hope to do such nice work after 3 years.

Thats a pretty cool idea with the pegboard under the narrow workbench.

Mark Singer
03-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Welcome and great work!!!!

lou sansone
03-20-2005, 11:33 AM
welcome and very nice work. you will find a lot of decent and helpfull ww's here at the creek

kind regards
lou

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2005, 11:49 AM
MIchael....Welcome to the 'Creek! Nice work!

Tyler Howell
03-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Welcome Michael,

Love your home state. Visited many times. My very first taste of mountain skiing .
Nice work you've done there. Great bunch of folks here in the creek.

scott spencer
03-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Welcome Michael....new to the forum, but OBVIOUSLY not new to wwing! Some nice work you've got there....nice shop too from the glimpse I can catch.

John Renzetti
03-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi Mike, Very nice work. Welcome to SMC
take care,
John

Bryan Nuss
03-20-2005, 1:15 PM
Hi and welcome to the Creek, Mike. Beautiful work you've done there! That chest and table show great craftsmanship.

Jerry Olexa
03-20-2005, 1:27 PM
Michael, Welcome and I love that chest!! Very nice work!! I'm a little partial to Delta also. Again, glad you joined us..

Dan Forman
03-20-2005, 3:56 PM
Michael---Welcome Michael! Beautiful work you have there. I love the Missoula region, fantastic fly fishing. I have never heard of a pie safe, is she wanting to keep them safe from you?

Dan

Jeff Sudmeier
03-20-2005, 4:00 PM
Michael,

One more welcome to the creek! You really have joined a great forum!

I love that table that you built, it looks very high quality. It is great to have you aboard!

Alan Mikkelsen
03-20-2005, 4:07 PM
WELCOME! I'm just up the road in St. Ignatius. I love the crew at Montana Tool, they're some of the greatest guys around. I get most of my hardwood at Buckeye, in Arlee. Stop by whenever you're in my neighborhood!

Mark Stutz
03-20-2005, 6:14 PM
Michael,
Welcome to the Creek! I recently finish readind a book on the Shakers and their furniture. The is a wonderful rendition of a table featured in the book. I look forward to more inspiring pieces!

Mark

Kent Cori
03-20-2005, 6:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek Michael. It looks like you have this woodworking thing pretty much under control. I too have a two car garage shop and know what a challenge it can be particularly when you still need to house cars in it.

One thing I don't need to worry about here in Florida is insulating my garage door! :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
03-20-2005, 7:33 PM
Michael, welcome abaord. You're pieces look fantastic - especially the second piece. I too am a huge fan of Shaker furniture, so I look forward to seeing some more of the pieces that you've built. Glad to have you around!

David Fried
03-20-2005, 9:46 PM
Welcome! Both pieces are great but it's the table I love!

Earl Huggins
03-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Welcome Michael
Great chest. My home town was Missoula and I graduated from High School
there in 1944. Still have relatives there with married names of Williams, Wamsley, Foley, & Hughes. If I ever get up there again, I will give you a
call. Now live in Las Vegas.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-21-2005, 1:37 AM
Nice first post Michael! I like the chest a lot.....

Robby Phelps
03-21-2005, 2:33 AM
Nice work Micheal. Also good to have ya. I look forward to your woodworking insight and future projects of yours.

Frank Pellow
03-21-2005, 7:47 AM
Michael, I would like to welcome you and Grant Creek Woodworks to Saw Mill Creek. It certainly looks like you will be a valuable addition to our ranks. I aspire to, some day, being able to build a chest like the one you have shown us.

Steve Beadle
03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Michael! Two things in your post caught my attention especially: Missoula, Montana, and "pie safe." I'm always interested in things Montana, as I was born in Kalispell, just a little north of Missoula. I lived in Saco and Glasgow (NE corner of the state) until almost twelve, then moved to the west.
I'm also building a pie safe--actually three of them, following one that I built initially for SWMBO. This one's for my sister. I have tried to do the tin panels "on the cheap," using galvanized sheet metal, but can't seem to find an acceptable supply of FLAT material. I found some ROLLS of the stuff, and its inexpensive, but I can't get it flat enough to suit me. I guess I'll have to do as you have done, and order panels from somebody like Country Accents.
Again, welcome to this excellent forum!
Steve

Chris Lee
03-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Michael,

Welcome to the Creek. Everybody here is great. You have some beautiful work. I look forward to seeing more.
Chris

Ted Shrader
03-21-2005, 1:07 PM
Michael -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad to have you. That is some nice looking work in the pictures you posted. Well done!

Welcome,
Ted

Mark Riegsecker
04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Welcome Michael,

It's amazing! I was just wondering what a chest of that style would look like in cherry. Thanks for the pictures.:D

I'm wondering, did you have a problem with the top warping? Or did you use quarter saw material? It's been a year if it's still flat - what's your secret?

Also do those hinges hold the top from slamming down for the entire travel to the closed position ?

Mark

Aaron Koehl
04-04-2005, 2:37 PM
Michael,

Welcome to the 'Creek, and nice work!

Martin Shupe
04-26-2005, 9:43 PM
Michael...

I am not sure how I missed this the first time, but welcome to the Creek, and I sure do like your Shaker Roundstand. (I like the pie safe and the blanket chest, too!)

Dan Owen
04-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Nice work Mike

I too have recently stimulated the economy of Missoula with several visits to MTW. Good place to do business.