PDA

View Full Version : Changing copper hardware patina

Chad Bender
02-15-2012, 3:28 PM
Rockler sells replica Stickley style copper drawer pulls in both a dark and light patina. I've used the light versions on several cherry pieces, and would like to use them again on an upcoming sideboard project. Unfortunately, the vertical pulls are no longer offered in the light patina. It occurs to me that it might be possible to strip the patina off of the dark pulls, and end up with something very close to what I'm looking for. However, I have no idea how to carry out such a venture. I do have a couple of the dark pulls to experiment on.

Any suggestions from someone with experience ageing (or restoring) copper would be appreciated!

The pulls I'm talking about are here:

This pull design:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16747

going to this patina:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16745

Jerry Thompson
02-15-2012, 6:42 PM
I used amonia and got some spots of green and various other colors on the item. I left them in for a good while. I do not know how a shorter time would make copper look. I just ''fumed'' them. I hung them in a glass container with a little amonia in it.

Perry Holbrook
02-15-2012, 7:08 PM
If the pulls are actually solid copper, this can be simple to do, but requires a couple of purchases. To get the old patina off, you first need to get the top coat finish off. Find a solvent that will strip it by soaking. Lacquer thinner, alcohol, etc. After the finish is off, soak the copper in a pickle solution. The pickle solution is PH Down disolved in warm water, PH down can be found at Home Depot in the swimming pool supply area. The pickle will turn the copper bright copper.

Next, get some liver of sulphur, mix a small amount in water, careful the stuff really stinks. When this mixture is rubbed on the copper it will turn it dark, black if the mixture is too strong. You can now buff the pull with steel wool or scotch bright pad to make it the patina you desire.

I know, it sounds like a lot of work, but in my shop I could do it in about 5 minutes (I've got the supplies at arms length.)

Perry

I've been thinking about this, if you get the finish off, send it to me and I'll pickle it and re-darken it for you. You can rub it out to your desired look. No charge.

Chad Bender
02-15-2012, 10:01 PM
If the pulls are actually solid copper, this can be simple to do, but requires a couple of purchases. To get the old patina off, you first need to get the top coat finish off. Find a solvent that will strip it by soaking. Lacquer thinner, alcohol, etc. After the finish is off, soak the copper in a pickle solution. The pickle solution is PH Down disolved in warm water, PH down can be found at Home Depot in the swimming pool supply area. The pickle will turn the copper bright copper.

Next, get some liver of sulphur, mix a small amount in water, careful the stuff really stinks. When this mixture is rubbed on the copper it will turn it dark, black if the mixture is too strong. You can now buff the pull with steel wool or scotch bright pad to make it the patina you desire.

I know, it sounds like a lot of work, but in my shop I could do it in about 5 minutes (I've got the supplies at arms length.)

Perry

I've been thinking about this, if you get the finish off, send it to me and I'll pickle it and re-darken it for you. You can rub it out to your desired look. No charge.

Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll try out your instructions on the dark pull I have and see how it goes.

Rich Engelhardt
02-16-2012, 7:14 AM
If you know someone that reloads ammunition and has a case vibrator, have them toss one of the dark ones in there for a few hours.
Crushed walnut media gives the quickest results.
Corn cob media can work, but, it takes a whole lot longer.
I use my Dillon vibrator/case cleaner all the time for things like this.

Chad Bender
03-02-2012, 1:41 PM
For the past couple of days I've been soaking one of the dark pulls in various solvents, attempting to remove the old patina. These attempts were not successful.

However, while doing dishes at the kitchen sink last night, I spotted the little tub of copper cleaner that is normally used to brighten the bottoms of copper pots.
Figuring I had little to loose, I tried rubbing some on the pull. Low and behold the patina started to slowly come off. I'm fairly certain that I can control this and end up with the look I'm hoping to achieve.

Are their any obvious (negative) consequences to this plan that I'm overlooking? It sounds much simpler than the stripping, pickling, and buffing procedure Perry outlined.

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2012, 5:04 PM
Funny story......

I had a job building a house, and a puzzling stain was on the copper flashings on the third floor, but only in this one spot. I went about my business but had that in the back of my mind when one day I came around the corner and my question was answered.

One of the crew was taking a leak out of the window. So there was my answer. I made him polish it up and put it in the back of my mind.

Fast forward a few years and I had to fabricate a copper top for a cupula for the grand old dame of this particular gated [to keep people like me out] summer community. She was explicit that she have this one particular patina, you know with the green/turquoise coloring. So this jogged something from the past......

I built the cupula, and when the guys came to get their checks at the shop I had a couple of beers for everyone in the fridge. Restrooms out back guys, on the cupula!

Two days later it is the perfect patina, and I wash it off and take it to install it. She just gushes about the cupula, and especially the patina. "How did you get the patina so perfect?" she asks.

Trade secret Mrs. ****, I'm afraid I just can't tell.......

Larry

Not sure if this will work for you, but it is certianly inexpensive.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.png