PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasted & Dyed Red Oak HF

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 2:25 PM
This is my second attempt at sandblasting followed by the use of dye. Black transtint sanded back, then followed by green transtint in DNA.
Because it was turned green to finish, it is no longer round. 6”h x 4 ¼ to just under 5 depending on which way you measure. Finished with Bush Oil.

Comments and critiques are always welcome and appreciated.

Michelle Rich
02-15-2012, 2:31 PM
very good look. very rustic. I have researched sandblasting & found it needed a huge compressor..& very expensive they are!! What size do you use?

Kevin Lucas
02-15-2012, 2:35 PM
Does the sandblasting make those lines by wearing away growth rings? very cool looking piece )

Jim Burr
02-15-2012, 3:10 PM
Great dimension/depth and coloring Baxter...very well done!

Chip Sutherland
02-15-2012, 3:59 PM
Next comes liming wax to accentuate the rings????

dan carter
02-15-2012, 4:05 PM
Looks like you have it figured out. This one looks good. It sure gives the oak a different feel. Doubt anyone cares if it is round or not. You did well Baxter.

John Keeton
02-15-2012, 5:29 PM
Baxter, you are going to change my opinion on turning oak!! Great piece - the color is really nice, and I don't usually care for green.

Tim Rinehart
02-15-2012, 5:40 PM
Baxter, you are going to change my opinion on turning oak!! Great piece - the color is really nice, and I don't usually care for green.
That's kind of a scary proposition too John...seems everyone always has a fallen or taken down oak ... and it's been one we can say "no thanks" to most of the time. Dang that Baxter!!! Ok...we can be strong and resist the urge!

Bill Hensley
02-15-2012, 6:54 PM
Baxter you inspire me every time I see what you've done with oak, thanks for sharing!

Deane Allinson
02-15-2012, 7:00 PM
Really nice shape and I love the textural effect of the blasting. Color... I'm a little red-green color blind, so it looks grey to me.

charlie knighton
02-15-2012, 8:13 PM
very nice, always like oak, a good look that 2nd photo

George Morris
02-15-2012, 9:45 PM
Great shape and love the oak . Thought it was a friend of mine when I saw the Oak and shape. His name is Andy Dipierto. Also uses a lot of oak and dye.
You did a great job on the Hollow Form! G

BILL DONAHUE
02-15-2012, 9:50 PM
That's a beauty! The shape, the coloring and the rustic look are classic.

Dean Jordan
02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I am new here so bear with me if I break any rules. Beautiful hollow form with great porportions. I have a comment about Michelle Riches reply.Sandblasting does take a lot of CFM from a compressor After replacing one I read about a sandblastig attachment for a pressure washer.Cost around $100. I tried one and its amazing . works very well and easy to control. It doesadd water to the wood but mostly on the surface. You can blast completly through if you wnt,makes a mess

Bob Bergstrom
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
That is awesome. I think the green over black dye is better than the yellow over black bowls that I did. Beautiful form and the sandblasting just adds to it all. This is really a keeper.

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your positive thoughts!

very good look. very rustic. I have researched sandblasting & found it needed a huge compressor..& very expensive they are!! What size do you use?
Michele, I have also read that a compressor needs to be at least a 5 hp model with a large tank. The one I use is a 20 year old Craftsman that belonged to my fatherinlaw. Its a 26 gallon wheelbarrow type that says 5 hp on the motor but isn't. By the book, it isn't adequate, but its kind of like your tree branch tool handles.;) I use it for sandblasting and spraying finishes once in a while. Although it has trouble keeping up at times, it is still hanging in there.

Does the sandblasting make those lines by wearing away growth rings? very cool looking piece )
It does wear away the softer growth rings but the circular lines that you may be referring to are the medullary rays that extend from the center of the tree to the bark.

Next comes liming wax to accentuate the rings????
Chip, I do have an unopened can of liming wax and just recieved a spray can of waterborne lacquer in the mail last week. So it is on the horizon. I have some red oak bowls I could try it on but am out of oak HF's for now

Great shape and love the oak . Thought it was a friend of mine when I saw the Oak and shape. His name is Andy Dipierto. Also uses a lot of oak and dye.
You did a great job on the Hollow Form! G
Thanks George. I am flattered. I have admired Andy's work with these. Already having a sandblast cabinet and using lots of red oak for firewood, made it seem like something relatively easy and cheap to try.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Very well done Baxter. Nice form and color.

steven carter
02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Top notch. The sandblasting gives it a rustic look IMO.

Edward Bartimmo
02-16-2012, 1:04 PM
Baxter,

What type of sandblaster are you using. I have been flirting with acquiring one, but wasn't sure what type or size to go with.

Thanks

Baxter Smith
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Baxter,

What type of sandblaster are you using. I have been flirting with acquiring one, but wasn't sure what type or size to go with.

Thanks
Edward, I purchased this http://www.tptools.com/p/432,367_780-TL-Top-Load-Abrasive-Blast-Cabinet.html about 10 years ago when I was restoring an old tractor. I use a shopvac with a HEPA filter attached to keep the inside clear. The compressor I have only has a 26 gallon tank and has to run almost constantly but it does work.

Michelle Rich
02-17-2012, 11:04 AM
thanks for the info baxter..I looked up compressors at 5hsp..800-1,100 plus the 450.00 booth is a ton of $$$..I think this idea is beyond my $$$$availability!! Back to the branch tool handles!! :0 :-)

Joe Landon
02-18-2012, 8:32 AM
Great looking hollow form, Baxter. Andy DiPietro does a series of sand blasted oak forms called "Oakabolla."

Steve Schlumpf
02-18-2012, 4:34 PM
That really looks great Baxter! Great form and the sandblasting actually gives it a sort of liming effect when used with the dye! Really nice work!

Mark Hubl
02-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Baxter,

I like this piece and the other in your recent post with the platter. Your forms are spot on, giving Landon and DiPietro a run for their money in my book. Nice.

Baxter Smith
02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
thanks for the info baxter..I looked up compressors at 5hsp..800-1,100 plus the 450.00 booth is a ton of $$$..I think this idea is beyond my $$$$availability!! Back to the branch tool handles!! :0 :-)
One or two of your chairs should cover it Michele! They do sell the parts for building your own blast cabinet out of wood. A used compressor like the one I have could probably be found for a couple hundred at most. Not what would be recommended, but it works for me.

Great looking hollow form, Baxter. Andy DiPietro does a series of sand blasted oak forms called "Oakabolla."
Thanks Joe. I appreciate it. Between admiring his work, going to a couple of his demo's, and already having the equipment, I thought I would give it a try.

That really looks great Baxter! Great form and the sandblasting actually gives it a sort of liming effect when used with the dye! Really nice work!
Thanks Steve. I already have the liming wax. I just need to hollow out another one.