PDA

View Full Version : Burn Barrel Resurrection # 7

Dick Wilson
02-15-2012, 1:25 PM
Well, I done it again!!!! A turning trashed is a turning saved. Six or eight months ago I was hollowing this piece and I got an attack of the stupids. Note to self: "Turn the lathe OFF before pulling the tool out of the HF". :eek::eek::mad: Yup, I let the cutter touch the edge of the open. The cutter moved into the rim and I launced the piece. After it took a magnificant orbital arch and bounced around the shop I turned off the lathe and looked it over. What a mangled situation. I threw it on my bench with other rejects and moved on. A friend gave me a box of alabaster cut offs. An idea came to mind and I proceeded to "fix" it.
First I had to fix the top so I could glue in a plug to have a base to work with. I then put it back on the lathe between centers to sand out the many scratch marks. There was one gouge that ran around the piece that would have been impossible to fill and hide so I turned a recess. I then inlaid crushed alabaster and filled around it. I used a mult-surfaced base. I put a cap on top to hide the wood plug. After trying a number of finial designs I decided to use this multi-surface finial to bring it together with the base. What I really like about the alabaster is the colors really compliment the walnut. 10" x 5" approx. Comments and critiques welcome as always.

Doug Herzberg
02-15-2012, 2:25 PM
Dick, your saves continue to amaze. It the colors in my monitor are true, this would look great on our "Red Dragon" counters. Rather than the burn barrel, you could just send it here.

If I were planning the inlay from the beginning, I would have put it lower, but it looks good where it is. I like the contrast between the angular surfaces of the stone and the smooth contours of the HF.

Kevin Lucas
02-15-2012, 2:32 PM
That's a nice save ) I like the alabaster wood mix too. At first glance I thought that's cool. The more i looked my eyes went top to bottom over and over to the base and knob. Then the curve really registered... nice sweeping form and I really like the accent ring.

Doug W Swanson
02-15-2012, 2:33 PM
Without your story of this piece being a 'save' I would have thought you meant to make it like this. Nice job!

Jim Burr
02-15-2012, 3:12 PM
Cool effect in every way Dick!! You are the Save-it King!!

Dick Wilson
02-15-2012, 3:44 PM
Dick, your saves continue to amaze. It the colors in my monitor are true, this would look great on our "Red Dragon" counters. Rather than the burn barrel, you could just send it here.

If I were planning the inlay from the beginning, I would have put it lower, but it looks good where it is. I like the contrast between the angular surfaces of the stone and the smooth contours of the HF.

Doug, If it weren't for the long gouge I probably would not have even done the inlay. The gouge pretty much dictated were the inlay was going to be. In a perfect world the inlay band should be lower.

Bill Hensley
02-15-2012, 7:03 PM
Very creative and congratulations on the save. Very attractive piece.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Really cool Dick. Nice save from the pile.

Ronald Campbell
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Dick I like the inlaid alabaster. It is very nice. I will be stopping in Albuquerque to see if i can buy some large pieces of alabaster. Great work
Ron Campbell

Mike Cruz
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Dick I love everything about it...except what is probably the plug. I'm assuming that the flat gearlike piece is the plug? I don't know why, but that doesn't seem to fit the rest of the piece. Otherwise, I LOVE it. The walnut is beautiful, and the base and finial are fantastic. The colors look like they were meant to be together. VERY nice piece, VERY nice save.