PDA

View Full Version : Finally, my wonderful trip to California

Bill Wyko
02-15-2012, 1:10 PM
I'll be adding more pics as soon as I get motre time.

Where to begin....

First, I got off the plane and my daughter picked me up. We got stuck in sickening traffic so I called Paulo to let him know we were in town. I told him that my daughter and I were going to get a bite to eat once we got out of the jam. He said he and his wife Karin were going out as well and we should join them. Of course I couldn't say no. I was already anxious to meet him the next day, why not meet that night?

When we got to the restaurant, Paulo and Karin greeted me and my daughter with a big hug. It was like we had known each other for years. We all sat down and hit it off like old friends. He and Karin were so kind to me as well as my daughter Heather.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049322.jpg

While we were eating and enjoying the evening, Karin noticed the man across from us happened to be Nikki Sixx from Motley Crew. Turns out that Karin used to prepare special meals for the Motley Crew Band, since she was Heather Locklear’s private fitness instructor. I found out that Karin was a competitive bodybuilder, who was Miss Western America and third in the world. Now the party was warming up and getting even better. We all talked it up for quite a while. Then another gentleman across from us who was listening to our conversation invited us to visit his restaurant the next night . He mentioned he was the manager of a place called Wolf’s Creek Brewery and he would like to buy us a beer. More on that later!
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049522.jpg

By the end of the evening we had enjoyed an incredible meal and solidified a friendship, which I feel will last a lifetime.

The following morning I arrived at the shop, again to be greeted like a million dollar customer. We took a quick tour of the shop while we were waiting for Alan Lacer and his wife Mary. I got to see some of the most incredible machinery. The HAAS equipment he showed me was absolutely fantastic. These machines can actually check themselves as they are making parts. Paulo even showed me how to probe one of the tools the machines was using. His inspection capabilities are incredible. His company was responsible for 80% of the manufacturing of the Mars Pathfinder program.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049575.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049590.jpg

Once Alan and Mary arrived, Paulo got into great detail about the many different technologies he is creating. One being a new material developed for Glaser Hitec named Cauldron 305. I got to hold and examine this material and I can tell you from what I understand, this metal will change the way we sharpen and extend the life of our tools like no other metal has.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049623.jpg

Another thing we enjoyed was seeing all the other incredible pieces they make for the aerospace industry. He showed us a little tiny billet that was so complex and only about the size of 1/2 a postage stamp. What was funny though, was Alan took out a little cork bottle to reveal some spinning tops he had turned that were almost the size of a hair in some cases. For me, I was in the presence of truly great minds. We spent all day going over tool design, metallurgy, technology and so much more. He even trusted us to reveal his new developments which are secretly kept from the woodturning world for now but which will really knock your sox off soon. If I said anything about it, I think the secret service would come knocking :)
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049633.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049668.jpg

For me, I decided to be quiet most of the time and just listen to their minds at work. These people are so incredibly ingenious. Alan went into great detail on so many aspects of just about every tool you could think of. Turns out Paulo pretty much had nailed it on all of them.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049719.jpg

Something else I didn't know, Mary Lacer is an incredibly talented turner and has a vast knowledge of just about every aspect of the turning world. She too was truly incredible to talk with. I even got to see some of her shaving kits she turns… Beautiful work.!

Between her and Alan, they have been to every state in the nation to teach and share their vast knowledge with everyone. I would have to say they are largely responsible for some of the skills of more turners than I could count. Yet they were both so incredibly kind, humble, thoughtful and so incredibly knowledgeable. And since they were there, I picked up 5 autographed copies of Alan's DVDs and one of his diamond hones for tuning up my tools. That Lil stone is bad arse.

Oh yea, my reason for going in the first place. I picked up 3 skews and decided to save the shipping and picked up a roughing gouge a beading and a bedan tool as well. After seeing so many details of how these tools are made (I.E. the flute, which is ground using a "diamond wheel" rather than a ball endmill or cutter like other tools are done. This method is more expensive, but it makes a more perfect shape and a deeper flute) I now realize that more flute means more cutting. More mass under the flute literally means “less flute” to do the cutting. I also now understand some of their proprietary heat treating procedures, which Paulo made sure to mention that Jerry was the genius behind “their cooking recipe” since the beginning of the Glaser line. On that note, one thing I’ve noticed is that Paulo is a really humble person. Even though a lot of these improvements and technologies were developed by him, he kept deferring the accomplishments to Jerry Glaser. Even Alan Lacer highly complimented Paulo for “thinking outside the box” for his ingenuity and attention to detail,

Another BIG change I can see coming is the Synergy line. I got to hold and play with these tools. I felt like I was holding a piece of the space shuttle. These tools are absolutely amazing. According to Paulo, they will be available within 45 days. I am sure there will be a great response toward these tools. I can't wait to get my hands on a set for myself. I will start saving for this one. Synergy, combined with the Cauldron305 will be a real game changer in the turning tool world.

Then, Paulo and Karin were kind enough to invite me for their lunch with the Lacers. We had a fantastic “meat” lunch. (Only comparable to my great barbecues J.

When we returned to the shop, we inspected some of Alan’s little tops using some of Paulo’s Digital Microscopes and I can tell you that I was amazed on how he could still maintain the shape of the top being so miniscule. Alan Lacer is an amazing turner.

I also found out that Paulo made skews for Alan in the past and is now working developing a new approach to skew chisels which I had an opportunity to see first-hand. I assure you that it is incredibly ahead of its time. Even Alan Lacer was blown away by the creativity on this new tool.

Later that night Paulo and Karin invited me to dinner again. We went to the restaurant we were invited the night before. We had a great night together and interestingly enough we did not talk about woodturning at all. The Marin’s made a point to ask about my family and they listened to my stories.

Never have I seen a business owner treat someone as warm and kindly as I was treated. We really had a blast that night.

The next day when I had to leave, Paulo was taking me to the airport because my daughter had to work. He said he had to make a quick stop by the airport to pick-up some documents. Little did I know what he meant.
We arrived at this unassuming house in Marina del Rey and to my total surprise, Paulo had a meeting with Mr. Jerry Glaser. He took me in to meet the legend himself. When we walked in and turned the corner, there in front of me was Mr. Glaser and 3 original Sam Maloof chairs, including the one which is on the cover of the Smithsonian Magazine. Every single hair on my body was about to jump right off. I was almost in tears.. to be in the presence of such a legend as well as 3 Maloof chairs… what more could I ask.

I asked Mr. Glaser if I could sit in one and with a slight grin on his face, Jerry said “Yes… that's what they are for”.

Paulo and Jerry exchanged some paperwork and Paulo briefed Jerry on his progress with the Synergy developments and the new skew for Alan right in front of me. I just sat there in utter amazement, looking at Jerry’s extraordinary turnings and the exquisite chairs. Jerry also collects puzzles, from the tiniest to the most complex. They were mind boggling.

After we left it was finally time to catch my plane. I felt as though I was intoxicated by amazement. This weekend was one of those that you remember for a lifetime. Here I'm just a guy who wanted to buy a few tools and get a tour… nothing out of the ordinary in a day’s business.

What I got in return was the royal treatment. I was treated as though I was their top client. Paulo, Karin, Alan and Mary are truly incredible and knowledgeable people.

If any of you guys at Sawmill have the opportunity I had, you will see that Paulo and Karin are great people who will go out of their way make ANYBODY feel at home and appreciated. I come out of this experiencing feeling that these are humble and good human beings that mean well. I can see right away that it has nothing to do with money for them. It has to do with being good and gentle to another human being.

Be careful though if you get to visit their facility…it may be life changing. I know I came home with a new list of amazing friends. If any of the 4 of you read this, thank you so much for your kindness and generosity.

Robert McGowen
02-15-2012, 1:24 PM
Quite the trip. I can't say more or I will start sounding all jealous!

Tim Rinehart
02-15-2012, 1:40 PM
Great story Bill. I think my favorite part has to be at the end where you get to meet Jerry Glaser himself and sit in one of the Maloof chairs. I can tell it meant alot to you, and bravo to Paulo for helping make that a most memorable trip for you!
Look forward to hearing more about the new line...I can only believe they will be outstanding engineered tools.

Brian McInturff
02-15-2012, 1:50 PM
I am Jealous!!! And really, really happy for you. I too hope to one day take a trip west and meet Paulo. Congrats on the treatment and memories. I was an amateur bodybuilder back in the day. I'll have to look through my stuff and see if I might know Karin.
Again, Congrats Bill,

Brian

PS: I'm still Jealous!

Pete Jordan
02-15-2012, 1:57 PM
Wow!!!!

That is incredible! I am blown away!

Russell Eaton
02-15-2012, 2:23 PM
Very cool trip...with pictures I might add. I was on the Glaser site today and it seem YOUR name might be dropped. Cool post glad you had a good trip, and thanks for sharing.

Bill Wyko
02-15-2012, 2:44 PM
I have a lot more pictures but I have no time right now. Came back to a ton of business.

Bill Bolen
02-15-2012, 4:37 PM
What a fine post and a fun read! Delighted you enjoyed yourself and were treated so well. The only downer Bill is that you are a big 'ole tease with all the new tooling in the lineup and you can't talk about it!!

Fred Belknap
02-15-2012, 5:57 PM
Bill I have a small order to Glaser and they called and said they got my order and it would be shipped soon. The wife took the call and said he was real nice, at first she thought it was a telemarketer because whoever called had an accent. Sounds like you got the royal treatment, nice to see a company that appreciate it's customers.

Bill Wyko
02-15-2012, 6:31 PM
I have to say, I think anyone who walked through their door would be treated the exact same way. I'm not a big customer buying pallets of inventory, I'm just a guy who wanted some extraordinary tools to work in my shop in the back yard. Makes me wonder how much better the big guys could possibly be treated.

Bill Neddow
02-15-2012, 6:54 PM
Great story, Bill. It certainly is nice to be treated so well.
I am excited by that new Cauldron 305 metal. I really want to get my hands on one of those tools.

Bill Wyko
02-15-2012, 7:07 PM
I wish I had more time. I still have 6 new tools to do reviews on and a review on the new segmented turning book that just came out by Dennis Keeling (A must read for sure). I read it from cover to cover twice now. I also want to review all 5 dvd's by Alan Lacer. One quick thing on Alan's dvd's, I watched one of them so far and instantly was able to grasp the Skew. I started peeling ribbons like a halmark giftrap. Excellent info for anyone having trouble with the skew. I came back to work to tons of new business and more on the way. I'll try to catch up asap my friends. :)

David E Keller
02-15-2012, 9:21 PM
Sounds like a fabulous trip, Bill! I knew your expectations were high, and I'm happy to hear they were exceeded. Lots of cool stuff there, but the Maloof would have been the cat's meow for me. Congrats on a great trip!

Harvey Ghesser
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for sharing, Bill. Sounds like you were treated to an absolute candy store for adults this past weekend. I'd love to see more pictures if you have them. And like Bill Nedow, I can't wait to get my hands on the Synergy line.

Yes, Glaser HiTec makes incredible tools.:D

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
A "memorable trip" makes it sound like an understatement!

John W Dixon
02-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Gotta admit I'm a little jealous too! Glad you had such a fantastic time.

Ken Glass
02-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Bill,
To say I am Jealous is not putting it strong enough. You always have interesting stories to tell. The trip sounded really great and had a lot of added adventure with Motley crew and all. Glaser looks like a exceptional place too. Way to Go, Bill.

thomas prusak
02-16-2012, 11:41 AM
What an incredible and imo life changing trip you had. Congratulations! I travel very regularly and have found that after meeting people that possess the qualities that the Glaser folks apparently have, really has an indescribable positive effect on an individual. Thanks for the great story...

Bill Wyko
02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone. I look forward to reviewing my new tools and doing reviews on the DVD's and the book. A lot to catch up on for sure. I also have more pictures to share including pics of the Maloof chairs. I don't think anything has ever caused quite a reaction to my nervous system like turning the corner and seeing them.

Bill Wyko
02-17-2012, 12:42 AM
I was going to add more pictures to the original post but I must have waited too long. So anyway, here are some more pics.

Here is a piece of the infamous Caldron305. Unless you love sharpening all the time, you're gonna love this stuff.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049623.jpg
Here's a shot of 20+ micro turnings by Alan & Mary. These were done with a 1-3/8" skew.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049358.jpg
Pretty small huh? That's a spinning top on her finger tip too.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049377.jpg
Here's a blown up picture of it. Approximately .080in diameter.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049367.jpg
Here is a shot of the diamond wheel used instead of an endball. A far more accurate way to create the flute shape.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401076814.jpg
Here you'll see numerous detailed parts he makes for other industries.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401049336.jpg

Well, once again my computer has slowed down to a snails pace. I still have more pics including the beautiful Sam Maloof chairs. I'll have to try to load them tomorrow at work. Sorry for the broken up thread. I really wanted it all to be in the first post. Anyway, to be continued.....

charlie knighton
02-17-2012, 3:39 AM
Bill, thanks for sharing, great trip

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-17-2012, 8:45 AM
What an amazing story! Totally enthralled all the way through the thread, hope to see these 'Maloof' chairs you're on about, I must be a newbie, I don't know the name... (many apologies!). Glad you enjoyed yourself lots, sounds like they're really good people.

Scott Hackler
02-17-2012, 9:14 AM
tools smoools.... Motley Crue? :) From a die hard rock fan, that would have been pretty cool.

OK, so meeting Jerry and sitting in a Maloof chair would have been pretty awesome as well! You are appearantly in Paulo's good graces, for sure. Congrats on a cool experience.

Scott Hackler
02-17-2012, 9:17 AM
Primvs,

Here is a picture of the late Sam Maloof's work. They are big time expensive collectors pieces (think $30,000+ each!!!)

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/0912-maloof-chair-1998.jpg

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-17-2012, 9:36 AM
Wow Bill,
What a trip!! I'm a technology nut. I can sit and watch a CNC machine for hours. I'm fascinated by the precision and grace of movement. I've spoken with Paulo and he sounds like the man you describe, smart, ambitious yet kind and generous. You were probably treated so well because you are a customer no matter how small. But what timing, to meet Alan Lacer and Mary as well as see a rock star whose name even I recognize. Having met a turning legend and visionary like Mr. Glaser and sit in a chair made by Sam Maloff is more stuff you can't buy for big money.
Tools don't make a turner any more then paint makes a painter. They are a reward for those of us who work hard and want to enjoy really fine tools if possible. I'm happy there are people like Paulo who don't sit back and accept what is already available and think it is the best possible. They realize "better" is always out there for the finding and spend their lives searching for it. The rest of get to enjoy the fruits of their search. Thanks for filling us in on your trip.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Wow what a trip. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Wyko
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks again everyone. I had to sit in the airport for a couple hours and it really was as though I was intoxicated. When I walked into Jerry's house I felt such a sense of honor to be meeting the man. The chairs caused me to well up and almost crack a tear. And to see the mose elegant turnings Jerry had created was truly amazing. His forms and the way he integrated carved legs was truly a sign of greatness in form and style. My experiences on this trip have really motivated me to strive for new levels of quality and design in every piece I make. I'm just a guy turning in a small shop in my back yard. In one weekend the door was opened for me to some of the finest tool making and woodwork known to us. Truly a moment in time never to be forgotten.

I have to get to work now but I'll post more pictures at lunch. Thanks foe everyone's kindness. I'm glad I can share my experience with those of you that truly understand my experience.

Joe Landon
02-18-2012, 8:55 AM
Wow, what an incredible experience. I would love to see Glaser Hitec's facilities and meet the mastermind behind it. It sounds like we are all in for a treat with the introduction of the new metal and Synergy tool line. I had the pleasure of seeing and using the Synergy prototype at the St Paul AAW Symposium. It was an awesome tool then. I can't wait to see the new and improved version.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bill.

Bill Wyko
02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Joe, he's made the collar a little more stream line and they will come with the Caldron305 metal in about 45 days. The tool felt so comfortible in my hand and the fit of the tool to the handle is so perfect. You feel the air compress as the tool slides into the handle. I'm not sure but I think there will be a small vent incorporated to release the air pressure. I'm already saving for the Synergy line myself.
Anyway, I'm almost done resizing the pictures so I'll post them llater today. I have to do some fiberglass work so while it sets up I'll get on it.

Bill Wyko
02-18-2012, 4:17 PM
OK, finally loaded the rest of the pictures. Here is a picture of me with Alan and Mary Lacer. What wonderful people and so willing to share their knowledge.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110248.jpg
Alan was kind enough to show us his king size skew. Not for the light hearted......Just kidding, it's made of wood for tutorials. The two in Paulo's hands are real though as well as the other one in Alan's hand. I believe the real one in Alan's hand is what he uses to make the micro tops.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110416.jpg

Here is a picture of me in front of Jerry's house. What a georgous home with an incredible view.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110249.jpg
This is Paulo and Jerry together at Jerry's house. They were doing some paper work. I think Jerry had given Paulo a letter thanking him for the quality and craftsmanship he has carried on in the making of the tools. I could see the pride in Paulo's eyes when he read the letter.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110251.jpg
Here I am with Jerry. I felt so honored to be in his presence. It's not every day something like this happens.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110253.jpg

DOUGH!!! A customer came in, I'll post the Maloof chairs in a little bit.

Bill Wyko
02-18-2012, 4:56 PM
Ok, finally the beautiful Sam Maloof Chairs. To touch the joinery and feel the perfection in the finish and to just be in the presence of these chairs had me weak in the knees. When I sat in the the first one, I sat so slowly as to really allow the experience build in my heart. Once I was seated it was as though Sam had made the chair just for me. It fit perfectly, nothing felt uncomfortable and the curves just flowed into my body. It was as if it was made from a mold of me. Now the only problem I had was A: how do I get the hair all over my body to settle down and B: how can I sit here for ever. In the end, this was such a momentous event for me. I'll remember this for the rest of my life. Paulo, if you read this, thank you so much for such an incredible moment in time. You and Karin along with Alan and Mary will be in my treasured friend book for life. Thank you.

This is the first chair I saw and sat in. What a treasured moment in time.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110258.jpg
To my right was this extraordinary Rocker which Sam is so famous for creating.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110260.jpg
And to my left was the other exquisite Maloof creation.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/24027560/401110909.jpg

Never in a million years would I have thought this trip would have ended up this way. This is the kind of stuff we dream of. It never happens in real life.....Until now. In the end, I guess I could say it was a dream trip come true.
Thanks to all of you that chose to reply to my long post and those that took the time to enjoy it. I'm thankful I could share it with my friends here. I wish all of you an experience like I was blessed with this weekend. Enjoy my friends.

Harvey Ghesser
02-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Bill, Maloof chairs are in the Smithsonian but the picture of Jerry Glaser and Bill Wyko....priceless! (you lucky so and so!):D

Bill Wyko
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Harvey, I'd say a lucky and blessed so & so:D. I don't think you can sit on the chairs in the Smithsonian. I was litterally shaking when I sat down. Now I have to make one for myself.:eek:

Don Orr
02-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I just caught up with this thread and can only say WOW! What a trip that must have been and what memories. Alan and Mary are 2 of the nicest people anywhere. I hope you enjoy the tools and videos and thanks for the pictures.

How can you ever sit in a chair again and not compare it to one of Sam's? You lucky dog you! Have your feet touched the ground yet and has your head stopped spinning? Glad to hear business is going well too.

Good for you all around!

Bill Wyko
02-21-2012, 3:33 PM
Thanks Don. I think I've got a couple toes back on the ground but I still find myself reliving it in my mind. I agree Alan & Mary are a couple of the good ones. They've really reached out to the world of wood turning with genuine generosity. It was an honor to be with them.
It's funny, I tell some people I sat in a Maloof chair and they look at me like "What the hell is a Maloof chair?" Then ther's others that want to touch the pants that touched the chairs. Honestly, I'd rather meet and shake hands with Sam (RIP) than the last 3 or 4 Presidents.