PDA

View Full Version : Need search help

Ted Evans
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this but had no luck in FAQ. I am trying to do a search for "plastic jaws" but I cannot find the "complete phrase" option as suggested in FAQ and when I use quotation marks the results are for all posts containing the word jaws or plastic, of which there are millions, maybe more.

I am trying to find information on plastic jaws for scroll chucks and I think I saw something a long time back on the subject by Keeton, if I recall correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

bob svoboda
02-15-2012, 1:01 PM
Technatool has 'soft jaws' that fit the SuperNova II. I got mine on sale at Woodcraft for about 10.00

Mark Hubl
02-15-2012, 2:18 PM
Here is the link to the Keeton thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?138774-Nova-Soft-Jaws-any-users&highlight=plastic+%26amp%3B+jaws

Are you going to the advanced search page. I did a search on threads started by John Keeton with the keywords plastic & jaws. Still yielded a couple of pages of threads, but not hundreds.

If you google "vbulletin exact phrase search" you get some results that can take you to a support forum with some advice on syntax.

Ted Evans
02-15-2012, 4:10 PM
Bob, thanks for the info, I have VM100 & 120 chucks so not sure the Technatool would fit.

Mark, thanks a bunch, that was exactly what I was looking for. I do not understand why forum software does not use the same search procedures as most all other search engines, it is very frustrating.

Mark Hubl
02-15-2012, 4:19 PM
Yep, the search is challenging. It would seem some of the info I posted is incorrect. Will post some correct info when found.

John Keeton
02-15-2012, 5:40 PM
Ted, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier - would have been glad to help. Still am if you need anything - just let me know.

BTW, I use the advanced Google search to find threads on SMC - I am not enamored with the search function of Vbulletin.

Ted Evans
02-15-2012, 5:56 PM
Ted, sorry I didn't see this thread earlier - would have been glad to help. Still am if you need anything - just let me know.

BTW, I use the advanced Google search to find threads on SMC - I am not enamored with the search function of Vbulletin.

Thanks John K., My interest in the soft jaws is for doing lids for small vessels, stems and finials. Have you used yours for such projects and if so, what are your opinions of them? Do you know if the Technatool jaws can be fitted to the VicMarc chucks? VicMarc has some plastic jaws but I believe they are only 1/4 think and I would like some thicker. Thanks.

John Keeton
02-15-2012, 6:46 PM
Ted, I use my soft jaws so much I have them on a dedicated chuck! They are, by far, one of the handiest tools in my turning arsenal for the exact use you intend. Unfortunately, I do not know if they will fit the VicMarc, though it is my impression that the hole placement is different.