PDA

View Full Version : New Kreg product

John Gregory
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
http://kregjig.ning.com/forum/topics/rip-cut

I am under-whelmed. I use guide clamps to break down plywood, and it works great. I like to do my final sizing on my table saw anyway. Maybe if someone has no table saw this may be ok. But the guide clamps work well, I have three of them 24" 50" and 99".

I would be interested in hearing the opinions of others on Kreg's new product offering

Jerome Hanby
02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
That may not be the silliest product I've ever seen, but I could be wrong. Unless I looked at it incorrectly, it depends on that edge being straight and square, right? Bad assumption with the ply I've been getting lately.

Kurt Cady
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
it depends on that edge being straight and square, right? Bad assumption with the ply I've been getting lately.

It also depends on the guide staying flat against the reference edge. Go too fast, or not be 1000% watching the guide, and the guide will easily rock along the reference edge.

Chris Rosenberger
02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
It also depends on the guide staying flat against the reference edge. Go too fast, or not be 1000% watching the guide, and the guide will easily rock along the reference edge. That can cause lots of kickbacks.

Kevin Gregoire
02-15-2012, 1:11 PM
i want to see a video of the start and finish of a board. would think there should be kickback right off the bat.

frank shic
02-15-2012, 1:11 PM
i definitely will NOT be picking up that new offering! i'll stick to my sliding table/contractor's saw equipped with scoring attachment set up for now.

glenn bradley
02-15-2012, 3:58 PM
What's the problem? All sheetgoods come with at least one true edge; its a government requirement or a federal law or something, right?. I too vote for the usual kickback problem associated with such devices and the futility of the wild assumption that you can just magically come up with a straight reference edge. For the most part, a tool of that accuracy could be skipped in favor of following a pencil line IMHO. :)

joe milana
02-15-2012, 4:21 PM
Kinda makes me wonder. Has the Kreg company been sold?

Russ Ambrose
02-15-2012, 6:41 PM
i agree with John and the others...doesn't look like something i'd ever use. like John, i'll "rough" cut sheet goods with a good straight edge safely clamped down and then cut to final size on the table saw. i doubt that Kreg device is as accurate as advertised, but worse i think it's potentially dangerous. to get a straight cut, looks like you have to pay too much attention to the portion that's riding the outside of the sheet and not enough attention to the business end of the saw....pay attention to the guide and risk injury from kickback or something worse....pay attention to the saw and you're likely to wander off the edge of the sheet and get an inaccurate cut....thanks, but not for me

Bill Edwards(2)
02-15-2012, 6:52 PM
Whoa! Senior moment!

Tom Ewell
02-15-2012, 7:12 PM
I've had a similar device behind the seat of my pickup for years so don't need another. Use it when I need to rip beyond the capabilities of the standard circular saw rip guide. Don't take my cabinet saw out of the shop and there are occasions when my jobsite saw or Festool rig are not around. Saves time ripping repeats, set it and go, don't always need the micometer to check measurements for some jobs.

Bruce Seidner
02-15-2012, 8:46 PM
This is funny. I was about to vent as well, what with the Kreg emails that led up to this unveiling. I love my Kreg clamps and pocket hole jigs but laughed out loud when they released this closely held "change your life" ripping tool. Harbor Freight has demonstrated more class and judgment in many of its offerings than this plastic nonsense. A jointed board and two clamps will do more for me than this pretentiously announced derivative. I was really surprised. Maybe Kreg has been sold?!

Mike Heidrick
02-15-2012, 9:01 PM
Did you see the new Klamp Vise?

Matt Meiser
02-15-2012, 9:06 PM
I would have been more impressed with yet another cheesy skilsaw guide rail.

Steve Griffin
02-16-2012, 8:14 AM
Looks like it might be a great tool for rough work, such as house sheathing.

Matt Meiser
02-16-2012, 8:38 AM
It seems like Kreg is targeting the entry level market lately. I'd bet there's going to be a video showing how one can make a book case using nothing but their skilsaw using the Rip Cut tool and the crosscut guide they've had for a while then assembled using pocket screws. And I won't be suprised to see this show up with the Kreg tools at Lowes.

Honestly, its probably not a bad deal for the woodworking hobby in general--give people an inexpensive way to get started, hopefully they'll get the bug and start looking at more advanced tools. For Kreg, maybe they'll look at router tables, Klamp tables and so on. But it could also be good for others as well when people start looking for tools with a little more precision than a skilsaw.