PDA

View Full Version : Tall HF of Quilted Dunno Wood w/ finial and stick

Ken Glass
02-15-2012, 9:42 AM
Hey Fellow Turner's,
Here is a larger Hollow Form with Finial on a stick that I just finished. I had the wood around the shop in a corner for a couple of years. Its really quilted , but not sure of the species, maybe Elm, maybe not. Anyway, it is 18" in overall height with a 5-1/2" diameter at its widest. The Finial is 6-3/4" tall and the Pedestal is just under 3" tall. It is hollowed to 1/4", but I left 1-1/2" of the base intact for stability. Both the pedestal and Finial are ebonized and shot with Lacquer, and the form is Dyed with Old Master's Rich Mahogany mixed with a Red Tint, then sanded back with 320 and a second coat was added and wiped down. I wanted a redder look with this form. The camera didn't really capture The Red in the picture very well. The form was then shot with 3 coats of pre-cat Lacquer and I will Beall buff it after 3-4 days. This piece is bound for the Gallery in a week or so. I hope you like it, and as always, your critiques and comments are most welcome.

Jon McElwain
02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
The first thing that came to mind when looking at this piece was "stately." It looks very formal, not overly embellished with detail, colors, grain, etc., but just a graceful and classic form.

You may have some better success with the photos by taking them with indirect natural light.

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
That is nice Ken. Really a elegant looking piece. Really nice wood color and finial looks great.

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Thats a big one Ken! I have to agree with the stately and elegant comments!

Jim Burr
02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I really love the finish Ken!! Not being an authority on forms, I'll just say it works for me!

Michelle Rich
02-15-2012, 1:23 PM
Oh my, that is the prettiest dunno wood I have seen in a long, long time :-) Elegant & well done!

Doug Herzberg
02-15-2012, 1:23 PM
I really love the finish Ken!! Not being an authority on forms, I'll just say it works for me!

+1. Something to aspire to.

Roger Chandler
02-15-2012, 1:30 PM
"Stately" and "elegant" really describes this one........beautiful turning, Ken!

Tim Rinehart
02-15-2012, 2:11 PM
Amazing...as I looked at it, and then read others comments...I was thinking Elegant! Nicely done, very nicely done. Excellent details on base and finial.

Bill Bolen
02-15-2012, 4:41 PM
Gorgeous piece and I love that finial.

John Keeton
02-15-2012, 5:38 PM
Ken, my guess is that it will be well accepted at the gallery!

Ken Glass
02-15-2012, 8:04 PM
John,
Since they signed a 6 month contract they really don't have a lot of choice. LOL Even a rank amateur like me gets a break once in a while....

John Keeton
02-15-2012, 8:12 PM
Ken, regardless of the contract, I would think this one would please them. However, that IS a sweet arrangement!!

BILL DONAHUE
02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
That's very impressive in every respect - the shape and the coloring. What will they ask for it and what percentage so they get?

Ken Glass
02-16-2012, 12:04 AM
To All,
I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Bill,
I presently have around 15 turnings being shown for sale. This one will probably be shown for between $260 to $290, but it is most always my call. I pay a flat commission of 30%, but that might be changing soon. They carry insurance for the price listed on all pieces, in case of damage, theft, fire, etc. I feel it is a very worthwhile arrangement for the both of us. Sales are not always brisk, but have steadily been increasing as of late.

Kathy Marshall
02-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Beautiful piece Ken! Really nice color in the wood and the form and finish look great.

Rich Greinert
02-16-2012, 12:44 AM
A very nice piece Ken. Thanks for sharing the pricing and gallery information too. So many people are reluctant to share that. I think it helps us all in the long run and I appreciate your posting it.

Ken Glass
02-16-2012, 8:28 AM
Rich,
I had to apply to the Gallery, be accepted, and show samples of my work long before I was accepted as an exhibitor. They would not accept pictures of past work either. I spoke to one artisan at the Gallery recently, and she explained to me that after she shared information about her location, commission and pricing to one individual, that the person solicited the Gallery to become an exhibitor. She felt that since they were in the same Art Genre as she was in, that it was in very poor taste. I had to agree with her. I think that might be some of the reasoning that some people withhold that information. I believe that any good Gallery will have a contractual relationship with an Artisan and would honor it. My contract also protects the Gallery from me showing/selling my work within a 3 mile radius of that Gallery. My daughter is an Artist in Albuquerque and shows in several galleries and they always enter into contractual agreements to protect all parties. A timeline contract keeps the Artisan focused on providing work in a timely manner and gives the Gallery the ability (at contract end), to seek other Artisans if the contract doesn't generate enough sales. It also takes away any guess work.