PDA

View Full Version : Practice Piece

Larry Pickering
02-15-2012, 9:23 AM
This started out as a Beads of Courage box, the top cracked, the carving looked like c***, it was headed to the burn barrel, Mike Smith looked at it and suggested that I turn the carvings off, and make a bowl out of it. Since my burning skills are a bit rusty, I decided to make a practice piece out of it.
The wood is magnolia, turned end grain, 6" wide x 5 " tall. oil soaked and bee's wax finished. I have to go back and touch up the foot area,with the end grain it keeps chipping off.

Criticism always welcome.

Doug W Swanson
02-15-2012, 9:32 AM
Great save, Larry! I think it turned out very nice!

charlie knighton
02-15-2012, 9:35 AM
very nice, forget the carving

Ken Glass
02-15-2012, 9:46 AM
What great Creativity, Larry. I like it a lot and the color and burning flow well into the wood and seem soothing to me. Well done.

Jon McElwain
02-15-2012, 9:56 AM
Sometimes I do not know what is more frustrating, the fact that I messed up a piece, or the fact that it looks better after "practicing" something new on it! Looks like a great save to me!

Bernie Weishapl
02-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Great save Larry. That is a nice looking piece. I agree with Jon that sometimes a piece that get messed up and then practiced on turns out pretty nice.

Carl Civitella
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
​Great stuff, i gotta get into that burning.

Baxter Smith
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Nice work on the burning. I would like to try a little but it would take me a long time/if ever to ever get results like yours!

Michelle Rich
02-15-2012, 1:25 PM
great decorations can't beat flowers & butterflies..very calming

Doug Herzberg
02-15-2012, 1:26 PM
Nice save. Looks great.

Larry Pickering
02-15-2012, 2:24 PM
great decorations can't beat flowers & butterflies..very calming

Michelle, maybe my subconscious was at work, last week I had my semi-annual CT scan and that long, long wait on the results. all the test were good, now I can exhale and move on something more exciting, burning that background was boring.

Bill Bolen
02-15-2012, 4:39 PM
Outstanding piece. I see no rust on your burning skills either.:D

John Keeton
02-15-2012, 5:36 PM
Larry, you owe Mike Smith a big thanks!! This is a great save, and you did some really nice pyro work.

I assume you were able to buy enough wood from Mike during his trip to your club to keep you turning for a while??

Larry Pickering
02-15-2012, 5:42 PM
Larry, you owe Mike Smith a big thanks!! This is a great save, and you did some really nice pyro work.

I assume you were able to buy enough wood from Mike during his trip to your club to keep you turning for a while??

John, between SWAT and last weekend I expect to get a Christmas card, from Mike