PDA

View Full Version : GRIZZLY brand wood lathes

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2012, 7:42 PM
I try to keep up to date on the different brands and model wood lathes. If one would pop up on the used market I would be ready to jump not having to do research first. I do have one question.

I see there is some interest in the Grizzly G0733. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe-18-x-47-/G0733 Looks to be a lot of lathe at $1,700.
Considering that the powermatic is $4,000 why does it seem there is no interest at all in the Grizzly G0694? http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-x-43-Heavy-Duty-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0694 .I know it may not be up to par with the Powermatic but at a grand cheaper I would think there would be some interest. I have read some negative reviews on line but look to be before this updated model.

With the $$$ that turners drop on a premium wood lathe, kinda surprised GRIZZLY has not gone after this market. The G0733 seems to be going in the right direction.

Tom Winship
02-14-2012, 9:29 PM
Dave, I am torn between the Jet 1642 and the Grizz G0733 for the reasons you mention.
What kind of lathe do you currently have?

John Keeton
02-14-2012, 9:51 PM
Dave, I think the G0733 is the new version of the G0698 that Roger Chandler and several other creekers have. They seem to have good service from theirs, but you might want to check in with the Grizzly group here on SMC to see what they all think.

Jon Nuckles
02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
There has been a ton posted about the G0698 here and elsewhere. A search will yield all the reading material you could ever want. Don't know how much changed with the switch to the new model.

Robert McGowen
02-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I personally think that the lathe itself is probably the cheapest part of the entire turning vortex. If you are never going to get another lathe, then the $1000 difference over the span of years becomes meaningless. If you think that you will upgrade, then the Jet or Powermatic probably has better resale value, so you are still going to be ahead of the Grizzzly. I paid $1399 delivered for a new Jet 1642-2HP three years ago and I could probably sell it for more than that now. YMMV.

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
There has been a ton posted about the G0698 here and elsewhere. A search will yield all the reading material you could ever want. Don't know how much changed with the switch to the new model.

Thanks for the info.Click on my link in the first post (Or the one below). I am asking about the G0694. Not the G0698 that is a twin of the new G0733.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0694/images/

Dave Lehnert
02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Dave, I am torn between the Jet 1642 and the Grizz G0733 for the reasons you mention.
What kind of lathe do you currently have?

I have a Shopsmith. I have used it for over 20 years. 100% meets my needs for what I turn. Just like to keep informed on the different lathes in case a deal comes along.
Got to see the yellow monster in person. I can see why it gets good press. But the price sure has gone up. $4K is a major commitment in $$$$ for a dedicated tool.

Ed Morgano
02-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Dave,
I have a home made lathe but I did look at the Grizzly 0693 a while back. I talked to a guy named Earl over on NCWoodworker dot net. He owns one and had nothing but high prase for it. It's heavier than the Powermatic and he told me that it's performance has been better than he expected. If you want to talk to him, his screen name in that forum is erasmussen. Hope this helps. I would be more inclined to vote for the Powermatic if it wasn't made in China like everyone elses.

Don Alexander
02-14-2012, 11:53 PM
they have definitely gone way up in price in 3 years time

Ken Fitzgerald
02-15-2012, 12:02 AM
It's hard to believe that the PM has gone up that much in such a short period of time. A few years ago I bought my PM3520B with the bed extension for a $1000 less than today's lathe price. While I am not against buying PM products, for that difference in price, I'd probably be looking hard at a Robust Sweet 16. When I bought my PM3520B, the choices were PM3520B, the Robust American Beauty, the Serious equivalent, a Oneway and a Vega. The Vega didn't meet my needs, the Robust was several times more expensive than the PM as was the Serious and the Oneway. So the best bang for the buck at the time was the PM3520.

Now I would probably look hard at a Robust Liberty or Sweet 16.

Dave Lehnert
02-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks! I have been looking at some of his work. I am even more puzzled why this Grizzly Lathe is not more popular after seeing the size a quality of his work. It was kinda hard to find his first post on the lathe because he uses the wrong model number in his subject line. Here is a link if anyone is interested. www (dot)ncwoodworker (dot) net/forums/showthread.php?t=33365&highlight=new+lathe

Or his work http://www (dot) ncwoodworker (dot) net/forums/showthread.php?t=37667&highlight=

Dave,
I have a home made lathe but I did look at the Grizzly 0693 a while back. I talked to a guy named Earl over on NCWoodworker dot net. He owns one and had nothing but high prase for it. It's heavier than the Powermatic and he told me that it's performance has been better than he expected. If you want to talk to him, his screen name in that forum is erasmussen. Hope this helps. I would be more inclined to vote for the Powermatic if it wasn't made in China like everyone elses.

Dave Lehnert
02-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Ken, I think I would have to agree with you. The powermatic is the most recommended lathe but wonder how many would buy today vs another brand given the increase in price.

It's hard to believe that the PM has gone up that much in such a short period of time. A few years ago I bought my PM3520B with the bed extension for a $1000 less than today's lathe price. While I am not against buying PM products, for that difference in price, I'd probably be looking hard at a Robust Sweet 16. When I bought my PM3520B, the choices were PM3520B, the Robust American Beauty, the Serious equivalent, a Oneway and a Vega. The Vega didn't meet my needs, the Robust was several times more expensive than the PM as was the Serious and the Oneway. So the best bang for the buck at the time was the PM3520.

Now I would probably look hard at a Robust Liberty or Sweet 16.

Roger Chandler
02-15-2012, 8:19 AM
Dave,

I saw the Laguna version of the G0694 at a Woodcraft [Norfolk, Va.]store on display.........same unit as the Grizzly 0694 version, just like the Laguna 18/47 is nearly identical to the G0698, which I have. That lathe [G0694 clone] was impressive. It is heavier than the PM3520b, and from what I have read on the Grizzly catalog about it, the capacity is the same with a 20" swing......but it has this difference....at gap bed where it has 24" swing [for a platter] and the headstock does not slide to the end.........that being said, it has outboard turning availability which the PM 3520b does not have.............in my opinion it is a lot of lathe for the money.

since you can turn outboard with it, likely you could turn 40 inches if you wanted.........plenty of horsepower and looks like a stable platform............it almost reminds me of the Woodtek lathes a little,with the versatile set up options.........likely a lathe that would take care of most any turning need unless one was doing turnings like trying to turn a flagpole or some huge project...............that would take some very specialized equipment.