PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling it "The Currents"

Bill Hensley
02-14-2012, 7:23 PM
To me it looks like ocean currents done in pen and ink with a water color wash.It's Pecan given to me by a neighbor that lost a large section of the tree in his yard. I stopped and asked what his plans were and he said he would use it in his wood stove. "Well, mind if I have some of it?" His welcomed response "No problem".This hasn't been my favorite wood to turn but as I shaped the outside and saw how bland it was I decided it needed some enhancement. So I Rit dyed it very dark to fill the pores and sanded it away and came back with a cut version for a wash.So far it has 3 coats of Arm R Seal and it will probably get a few more. Comments are appreciated.223747223748

David E Keller
02-14-2012, 8:25 PM
Nice effect, Bill… Almost reminds me of a pale milk paint that has worn away. It may just be the photo, but it seems like the curve changes directions in the lower half of the bowl or flattens near the top depending on how you look at it. Leaving the inside natural is a nice touch, and I like the bark inclusion at the rim. All in all, it's a good looking bowl!

Bob Bergstrom
02-14-2012, 9:32 PM
Nice subtle use of the open grain of the Hickory. I really like the wash coat and its transparency. Nice idea and it really works well on this wood.

John Keeton
02-14-2012, 9:53 PM
Very interesting effect, Bill! Good title for it, I think.

Baxter Smith
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Bill, I like the effect on the outside and the contrast with the natural inside.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Really nicely done. I do like the contrast.

Bill Hensley
02-15-2012, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the comments. David is right about the form, not the sweetest flowing curvature. I had a tough time getting a smooth curve on this and I kept getting bad end grain tear out. I just got it close and called it quits. So thanks for cutting me some slack on the form and focusing on the finish effect. That's where I was most pleased anyway because I got the effect I was looking for.

Also, the wood must have had a high silica content because it dulled my tools quickly.