PDA

View Full Version : tool handles

allen thunem
02-14-2012, 6:40 PM
am making some aluminum tool handles.
1" solid round bar that i want to slip vinyl tubing over.
Would love to hear what methods others have used to accomplish slipping the tubing over the handle.
soaps, sprays, lubes, heat?????
I'm all ears and thanks

Steve Harder
02-14-2012, 6:46 PM
I'm waiting for a shipment of aluminum tube for my tool handle project, so these are comments I found by others.

Heat braided tubing in microwave until hot but not melted (not at all sure about that one).
Soak braided in very,very hot water.
Spray lots of WD-40 on tube and inside braid tube.

I'm thinking I'mg going to try #2 and #3 together.

Good luck, let me know what works for you.

Doug W Swanson
02-14-2012, 7:31 PM
I made some of these handles last year and didn't have much of a problem slipping the tube over. The one thing I did was to make sure the vinyl wasn't creased and it slid right on.

Jon McElwain
02-14-2012, 8:57 PM
You might ask Trent Bosch at the next wood turners meeting!

I used to use soapy water to install new bicycle grips on the handlebars. It would be wet for a couple of hours, but then it would dry out and stay in place.

Steve Kubien
02-15-2012, 9:37 AM
I've made a few handles the way you are planning to do. I boiled the hose and put the bar in the freezer. I also split the hose about halfway up its length which made it really easy to get it on. I used 5-min epoxy to close up the seam while clamping and wrapping the edges together with tape/cling wrap/clamps. Sounds more difficult than it really is.

Doug Fries
02-15-2012, 9:46 AM
HI Allen, I have attached links to two different youtube videos that demonstrate 2 different methods of changing grips on golf clubs. I have used the compressed air method with good results, but you will need to find a way to get a tight seal on the trailing end of the vinyl tubing so you the tip of the blow gun on your compressor can inject the air inside the vinyl tube, forcing the tube to expand.
I typically use regular 2 sided tape found at any box store & use paint thinner as a lubricant. Ive never had a grip come loose yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukvAAc6AUn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNLeXTFXac

Good Luck!!

Bill White
02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Golf club grip tape and solvent. Do ya have a golf shop near ya? I've regripped a bunch of clubs, and the process is really simple. Wrap the handle with the tape, pour some of the solvent into the grip, tip the grip end to end to "slosh" it around the inside of the grip, pour out the extra solvent, and slip the grip over the tape. Ready to go next day.
Bill

Mike Cruz
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Maybe you could just use PlastiDip. It is made for tool handles...

Alan Zenreich
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I used a pot of hot water to soak the vinyl tubing. That's all I needed to slide the tubing over my 1" handles.

Trevor Howard
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Another thing you could use is heat shrink. 1 x 1/8" would slide over easily and then using a hairdryer you can shrink it down. The fit would be nice and tight.

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-16-2012, 3:13 PM
I've been told you can use a plastic carrier bag to replace golf clubs... first slip the bag onto the end, fold it backover so the open end is near the handle end (not the club end), push the bag through the grip, and ease it onto the handle. You should be able to push / pull the grip all the way down, and trim off the ends - there's a link somewhere on youtube so I've been told... Not sure if this is o.k. to for a turning tool - lack of friction between the two layers of plastic bag?

Richard Jones
02-16-2012, 3:19 PM
Allen,

Can't help you with the vinyl tubing, but I would recommend at least trying some heater/radiator hose instead of the vinyl tubing. Find the right size, and literally beat it on with a hammer and facing block. I have quite a few done like this and it's easy. Most are on 3/4" GSP and BI.

Just my $.02.

allen thunem
02-16-2012, 4:13 PM
well i got em on. boiled em used foaming hand soap
wouldn't want to do a lot of em this way but i accomplished what i set out to do.
I have less that 5 bucks in each handle
60/61 solid round bar aluminum 24' cost me 65 bucks. 50' of vinyl tubing at a buck a foot
18" & 24" handles
beats paying 50 + bucks a piece and up for them

Mike Cruz
02-16-2012, 4:17 PM
What, no pics, Allen?